level workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i am going to build a new workbench. my idea is to use 4x4 timber for the legs , 4x2 for the rails at 400 centres and have storage underneath. i want a big solid bench. so for the first surface i was going to put down a 18mm osb board. then edge the sheet of osb with some 4x1 pse timber. then i was thinking of pouring self levelling compound over the osb and then once dry finnish off with a sheet of 18mm mdf and cover this with a 4mm ply that can be changed when it gets worn. then plane and sand the edge back flush with the ply. will this work?

Sorry, if I'm following this correctly, you're looking to have about 58mm (94 - 18 - 18) of the self levelling compound in thickness? Sounds like it might be quite heavy, which would only be a problem if you intend to move the thing. How strong is this stuff when it's set? Is it brittle at all?

I saw someone on 'Grand Designs' on More4 do something similar with a kitchen worktop, built a frame and filled it with concrete. Seemed to work well. I think James May did the same thing on 'Man Lab' too.

Maybe I watch too much telly... :shock:

I would not use self levelling compound as it will crack up when you use the bench you could use 50mm timber battens and make torsion bench top ie; 18+50+18+4 and the still lip with 4x1 this would be more stable, concrete worktops as used in the states do not get the pounding of a bench plus they have rebar and resin to strenght'en them.

Sorry: re-read your original posting.

My bench is 1.5" chipboard, with 1/2" ply on top. It's got 4x2 ribbing across the underside (lengthways) to stiffen it, and a hardwood front edge about 6x4" rebated to take the ply and chipboard. There's a hardwood lipping around the side and back edges. It's quite heavy and very stable, and takes clamps well.

I don't think you need the levelling compound really. I'd also think the MDF may also be overkill: thick green chipboard (the waterproof sort) instead of OSB would be both flat and dense (and heavy!). I held the ply down with screws from underneath on roughly 6" spacing.

Don't skimp on the front edge, however you do it though.

HTH,

E.

My workbench is based on a 4x2 frame and has 2 boards off 25mm mdf joined together for the top making it 50mm and a 25mm sheet off mdf for storage on the lower section definately strong enough

Back