Lenakana & Rhyton 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger C

Established Member
Reaction score
Lenakana & Rhyton 2
This is my interpretation of a rhyton. Base is a off cut of African Rosewood ( Guiboirtia coleosperma) Rhyton is Transvaal beech (Faurea saligna ) The beech tree was destroyed by fire on a friends game farm. The holes are made by a flat white worm / larva of the metallic beetle Buprestidae. The horn is from a male Impala antelope obtained in a barter trade for some turnings .The Lappetfaced vulture head is a resin casting. Sizes are : Rhyton 12” ( 305mm ) high 3 1/8” at widest (80mm) base 7 7/8” square.( 200mm) 2” thick and finish is 5 layers shellac and 2 coats satin lacquer Thanks for looking all C&C welcome
Lenakana Means small horn in Sotho one of the languages spoken in South Africa

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 838
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 838
A really interesting and nice piece - how did you achieve the vultures neck? was it carved away from a larger disc or joined afterwards, neat piece of carving either way

Thanks for comment. The vulture head was carved by some body I know not who and a moulde was made and a some 50 plus were cast. I was given 3 by a friend. The disc was cut away and the head glued on. Regards Roger

Back