Lenakana & Rhyton

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger C

Established Member
Reaction score
Lenakana & Rhyton
This is my interpretation of a rhyton. I got my inspiration from an article in Woodturning by Terry Lawrence, in issue 31 April 1995. Base is wild olive ( Olea europaea subsp Africana ) Rhyton is Transvaal beech (Faurea saligna ) The beech tree was destroyed by fire on a friends game farm. The holes are made by a flat white worm / larva.The other marks are the result of termites, I left some of the debris in the canals that were exposed when turning. The horn is from a male Impala antelope obtained in a barter transaction for some turning. Sizes are : rhyton 11” ( 280mm ) high 4” at widest (100mm) base 7 ¾” square, total height to tip of horn15” (380mm) Thanks for looking and all C&C welcome
Lenakana means small horn in Sotho one of the languages spoken in South Africa. Regards Roger Courtney

6ea9d037-5c1f-4ae6-a8a6-b1a87d43e0aa_zps482b99dc.jpg

SAM_0209_Converted_zpsadffd3dc.jpg

An elegant sculptural form. The grooves at the widest point give it greater impact I think, and I love the idea of incorporating animal horn as another natural product (provided that the animal was not killed for the "trophy" of the horns of course).

Ahh! I can see that now! I`ve never come across the term before. (My classical education was sadly neglected.)
Again, very nicely done.

ian

Harlequin there are no silly question in turning. Yes it is hollow and the join is on the 4th grove from the top. Apologies I should have mentioned it in my post Kind Regards Roger C

Latest posts

Back