Leigh D4 and Triton Router help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pryally

Established Member
Reaction score
During buying my new (used) table saw (see other link) i also bought the Leigh D4 jig which the owner was looking to sell. Don't know why i did but..... it was cheap.
i have the big Triton router and the guide bush kit and am looking to do some dovetail test pieces. The jig came with 3 8mm shank cutters.
Do i only need to get a 1/2" to 8mm reducer collet to start using the jig?

If so where should i buy from? Axminster...?

Thanks for any advice

Give Brimarc a bell. They are the experts on these things.

cheers,

Ike

The Leigh jig should come with a 8mm reducer. Axminster would be the place to get one, as they have taken over Brimarc.

thanks for the replies, i didn't get the reducer with it.

i have looked at axminster and they stock the reducers but was wondering if some reducers are better than other? or i should be using any particular ones with the Triton?

ray,

thanks for that, i usually buy my cutters from Wealdens - what about the comment about being 'temporary'? i guess i just need to keep an eye on it?

no bushes with it but i already have the Triton set

I'f you are worried by the risk of cutter slip then buy 1/4" cutters to use with the leigh from axminster or others.

I'm assuming there is not a 8mm collect for the Triton as Ray would have mentioned it.

Bob

pryally":3uw6rvgz said:
..... what about the comment about being 'temporary'? i guess i just need to keep an eye on it?

no bushes with it but i already have the Triton set
That comment is both factual and accurate, but I've been using reduction sleeves for years now, as have many others. I've not had any problems with slippage, but then you can really tighten the Triton collet. :)

If you've already got the Triton bushes, you should be fine. If you expand into other templates, or wish to use the Leigh Variable Guidebush system, that will fit directly to the concentric plate in the guidebush set.

Ray.

9fingers":rtoq2swz said:
I'f you are worried by the risk of cutter slip then buy 1/4" cutters to use with the leigh from axminster or others.

I'm assuming there is not a 8mm collect for the Triton as Ray would have mentioned it.

Bob
You're correct about the 8mm sleeve, Bob, but on the big Triton there isn't a ¼" collet, it's also a reduction sleeve for the standard (Hitachi-style) ½" one.

I've just had a look round the Wealden site and they do 1/2" cutters that are marked as leigh compatible.

I've lent my leigh and the book to a mate so can't look up the range of timber thicknesses that 1/2" cutters will work for.

Bob

thanks for the info - just wanted some information before i bought anything else!
just checked in the Leigh book and the 1/2" cutters from Wealdens will do :-

26-32mm larger cutter and
16-26mm smaller cutter.

think i will buy the smaller dovetail cutter and matching straight cutter and the reducer.

Back