Legs for coffe table - Solid or hollow?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakfield

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building a chunky, rustic, oak coffe table for a friend out of some old beams he gave me.

The top is approx 45mm thick and the legs will probably be about 90mm square.

I have plenty of 4x1" oak that i could make hollow legs from with a mitre lock cutter, or I could get a bit of 4" sawn and make them solid.

What would you recomend?

Also, if i made them hollow, how would you fix them? - I thought about making a tennon and glueing that into the hollow leg as I don't want to have an apron on it.

Thanks,
Mark.

I would make a suitable sized core of sawn oak, then put 1/4 sawn oak on each side to get the dimensions you want.

I know a piece of oak would not display the medullary rays on all four sides, but it looks nice and only us woodworkers/cabinetmakers would know what you have done. :wink:

John :)

Either make it hollow and do the mitre lock thing (worked for Stickley) or make it up from thinner stock. You can make a solid leg from thinner strips, then make a thin bandsawn veneer to cover the sides with the joins. Looks like a solid leg, it's stable and is unlikely to warp or crack - which 4" oak almost inevitably will

Latest posts

Back