Lathe tailstock DRO

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to make a tailstock DRO for my metal lathe for some time, and when I saw Mark Presling's design (video) I decided to have a crack at it.

I put some 12mm thick 6082T6 aluminium plate on a rotary table on the mill and worked my way around the outside shape:

01.jpg

02.jpg

Next I milled a slot to hold a modified Vernier calliper, and rounded over the edges:

03.jpg

Progress at that point, vs a 3D printed prototype:

04.jpg

Next the clamp went onto the lathe for the central section to be bored out with an annular cutter, then opened up to match the diameter of the lathe tailstock barrel:

05.jpg

I then put a small chamfer all round using the router table. You can get away with routing aluminium as long as the cuts are very shallow:

06.jpg

Finally I drilled, counterbored, and tapped a hole for an M5 bolt, then milled a slit to allow the ring to be clamped onto the tailstock barrel:

07.jpg

The Vernier calliper was modified by grinding off then milling (with a carbide endmill) the sharp jaws, and a line of 4mm holes were milled into the rear. I also removed the depth "rod" that slides in the slot in the scale:

08.jpg

A section of 10mm hex brass stock was turned with an M5 thread on one end and a 4mm rod on the other. This shows how the calliper will sit on that rod:

09.jpg

To accurately drill the hole for the brass part you obviously remove the whole lathe tailstock and put it on your mill, because that's easy (hint: it wasn't). However it did allow the tailstock barrel to be clocked in straight and then the centre line found, so it was worth the effort:

10.jpg

11.jpg

Hole drilled, tapped, and brass part fitted:

12.jpg

Final shots showing the DRO now mounted to the lathe. I get enough range of motion on the tailstock barrel that it can extend fully, and retract far enough to allow Morse Taper tooling to eject. It doesn't get in the way, and loosening the single M5 bolt on the clamp is all it takes to remove it:

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Nice one :) Great idea, i'm just thinking about building a dro into my mitre cutting station.

Jon.

Back