Lathe making funny noise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I say funny, its not haha, its "rubbish is this going to cost a lot of money" noise.

I'd appreciate any help in the matter, here goes:

I have a Delta 1220 lathe...been a great lathe, recently tried a goblet on there....might have put some pressure on the cup portion because after drilling in a little bit started getting some weird chattering near the head stock. After finishing the piece i still get some weird mettalic sounds (really sounds like a bearing) near the head stock. I took off the chuck and everything off the headstock. Get different noises if I change the speeds. Any advice, tips, tricks, quick fixes would be appreciated. Can take a video and post it to you tube tomorrow...have to charge the phone and work tomorrow but yea, let me know if you can help and thank in advance friends!

Jim

Jim,

If I were a betting man, I'd bet you need a new set of bearings. I say "set" since if you are going to change one you might as well do both. Have you tried disengaging the belt and spinning the spindle shaft by hand yet? If you can here clicking while doing this it is probably time for new.

I had a similar problem with my wife's Chanrwood 821. It turned out to be the speed sensor "thingy" which was fouling. Removed the sensor ans now no problem.
Apart from no speed display but how much of a problem is that?

I am leaning towards bearings too...i took a video but it won't convert over for some reason...its a standard lathe, no fancy changing speed button or anything...

Have you checked for loose or misaligned pulleys? They can make a scraping/rattling sound.

Latest posts

Back