Lathe height?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a Solberga SVT lathe for free from aquintance.
An earlier model of this lathe: http://www.solbergatrasvarvar.se/Solbergatr%c3%a4svarv
It is in pieces and needs a few repairs and new electrical wiring but all parts seem to be there except for a lot of missing Whitworth screws.
As I am rebuilding it I need to know about how high the wooden blocking under the lathe should be to produce a suitable spindle height above the floor. It is obviuosly a bit low for a man of my height.
I am 1,93 tall and have a preference for high working heights due to my back problems.

How high above the floor should the spindle be?

Worlds wisdom says centre height the same as your elbow.
Personally I work with it about 75-80mm higher, far more comfortable on my back being able to stand more upright.

The fact that my lathe has a swivel headstock means that there is no need to lean over the bed or any penalty when trying to see inside hollow turnings.

@heimlaga: If you just want a few "odds n sods" for that lathe, I've got a fair few BSW taps & dies that I inherited from my Dad. If you tell me the sizes you want I will happily send them to you by post so you can borrow them - NO rush to get them back. Please note, they're NOT for sale though.

PM me with size/s if interested, I had a sort out long ago and know just where to put my hands on them.

I have a VB36 which is the "high" version, it is a few inches above my elbow but is very comfortable to use all day. The easiest way is to make a selection of riser blocks and try them for fit, everyone is different and you could add or subtract as you see fit until you find an optimum height. My Vb is not bolted down but if you are going to attach to the floor if you use over long studs you could cut down when the right height is found.

Back