Last weeks Job

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parquet Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I posted looking for some Afrormosia and thanks to Kalimna on here managed to get hold of a piece.

I made a step tread to tidy up how the floor finished into the porch. I also used the off cut to make a ramp strip and reducing trim for a couple of the internal doors, but forgot to take photographs.

I installed the tread first in order to set the level of the subfloor and then laid the reclaimed floor up to it. The floor looks quite glossy but that's because I'd just finished the last coat of seal when I took the photo, it will dry to a silk matt finish.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,310
Thanks No Skills
Here's another one.
I always forget to take photos until I've just applied the last coat.
The customer has still to fit the skirting so I've asked them to send me some photo's once the rooms been finished.

Attachments

• IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,080
Looks good, how long did it take to lay? Glued down I assume, always amazes me how much glue gets used and how much it costs :shock:

It took 3-4 days but I had to keep breaking off to help the lad clean some more blocks, (I could lay them a lot faster than he could clean them!)
A day and a half for the field, second day cutting border and started to lay the border, third day finishing the border.
The border goes around the corner out of sight and has multiple alcoves and recesses. Due to how I lay borders almost every block will have been cut from its original length.
The biggest problem is with it being a narrow hallway there is no room to walk once you've laid the floor. I could have laid a living room 3 times the area in the same time and it would have had less borders to do.

Prior to fitting the floor I had to uplift asphalt tiles, apply a DPM and screed the subfloor and fit the step. I managed to get 4 of the 5 doorways so the floors finished level to existing floors, but there was one bedroom where the floor had been laid on ply and was less than a meter from the bathroom door so couldn't get that one level.
I managed to make a ramped threshold for that one from an off cut of afrormosia using a track saw and a little bench top jointer.
Then there was a couple of days sanding and finishing.

Latest posts

Back