Large Waney Tree trunk/slab/endgrain needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjf

Reaction score
Hello Wood people,

Over the last two years this waney edge malarky has been creeping into the work I do and thats all find, not my thing but i do it for the monies... over that time ive managed to find a few suppliers of some great boards but this next project has a niche need and my suppliers cant help and so Im opening it up the wise people of Uk workshop.

What we need?
Its essentially a huge tree trunk or just a slab of a huge tree trunk, as big as big can get, if its a slab then through some wood based magic we should be able to work with smaller girths and joint them accordingly but if possible just a massive slice of a trunk in the endgrain direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, we're in Newcastle but always travel for special bits so country wide is cool and the lead time for sourcing is likely 3 weeks but as always the sooner the better.

My Thanks in advance

Jamie

We got some waney edged lumber from a guy based near durham. He has a yard near Rainton gate. If you need his details PM and I'll give you his details.

Try Duffields just outside Ripon. I was there during the week. Slabs of bubinga about 4m by 2m and lots more smaller in size. Good to deal with as well as being fairly close to you.

phil.p":1q0euicb said:
4m x 2m Bubinga? :shock:

Chris Tribe posted some photos of them a few years back, they were truly monster slabs. I'm surprised they haven't been sold, really prime slabs like that in the south-east seem to get snapped up within a few days. Maybe the fact that Bubinga is now on the CITES list is putting people off?

You have a good memory Custard. Yes Duffields still have them and they are truly massive. It's not clear what orientation you want it cut, you mention end grain so perhaps not cut through and through. You could try British Hardwoods near Keighley https://www.britishhardwoods.co.uk/native-hardwood-timbers.html they have plenty of through and through if that's what you want.

Just tried to post a pic of the bubinga, can't get it to work.

Chris

Very late to getting back to this thread, was out with a nasty infection in the elbow which sent me a little side ways with fever.

Anyway to the job in had, thank you for the suggestions.

Duffields is my usual haunt so Ive certainly seen the Bubinga and in fact Ive very nearly bought a slab on two occasions but managed to find slightly more characterful options elsewhere. My back up plan was to buy 3 or 4 b grade euro oak slabs from a boule their and facet them together to create the bar top.

The real task/trouble is the bar we're building needs to have a rounded end with a waney outer edge, so i was after a massive trunk slab (cut on the end grain) or curved timbers to stitch together to create a rounded end with a waney exterior edge. I believe I have some Oak burr logs to look at up near hexham tomorrow so fingers crossed... its getting close to just buy something and start...

Always fun though sourcing some good stuff.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back