Large platters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have now got my CL4 set up (upgrade from DLM36SH) and I want to use the new capacity to turn some large platters in Ash. I have a number of T&T Ash planks of 2" and 3" thickness of average width 12"-15". I was thinking of planing true edges and gluing 2 widths together to make a bigger blank. Has anyone done this and what are your opinions on the ability of such a joint to withstand turning stresses?

mikec

Mornin' Mike. I don't think you would be any problems with your idea of a built up blank. As long as the edges are prepared and left to cure properly. At least overnight.

Or you could use a couple of biscuits in the joint, just makes it a bit awkward as you have to position them were you don't cut into the joints when turning.

Another thought is to build up in three. Have a wide central board, and a half sized board each side, less pressure on the over hangs. Also with a central joint, and using a recess to hold, it is possible to split the joint with the chuck. Not trying to be a bringer of doom & gloom just pointing out the possibles. :twisted:

Good luck!

Back