Large oak dining table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Here is an oak table I made a while ago, if I've posted this already apologies (although I did check my previous posts) it was going in a south facing conservatory, yet the client insisted on a solid top and would not have a veneer top.
So we agreed on solid.
The only way I could get the strength on the jointed top was to use loose tenons, there are over 200 in the top.
I knew the top would curl upwards because of the heat, so the top was made with a bit of a downwards curl, total guesswork as to how much, we had it 10mm lower at the edges than the centre.
The design is pretty unique, the client wanted a wow factor.
The top is 12ft x 4ft by 3 1/2", it took 6 of us to lift the top into the house, the base is about 6ft by 2ft.

aj03.jpg

aj04.jpg

Bloggy

Impressive bit of wood Doc, the wow part seems to have gotten through. Must say that the pedestal is what caught my eye ,nice that bit . And 200 loose tenons , router still function after all that? Lovely piece amigo.

Very cool looking table, Doc! It fits well in the modernesque setting. I'm sure that the client was very satisfied with your work so far. If they weren't, then I think they're nuts. LOL.

Either way, it looks like a very sturdy piece. Very clean and might I say very polished. You aught to teach me a thing or two. Maybe I'll hop on a plane to your residence. Hee hee. ;P

Went back about a year later to sort out a stain, no movement which was good news.

The base was hollow, the top has a 300mm box attached to it which fits snuggly into the hollow base.

davin":14ybaazn said:
Lovely work, just wondered how you made the curve uniform over that size?

davin

We just planed the board edges at a very small angle on each board, when they were all joined it resulted in a slight down turn to the table top to allow for the upward curl which was inevitable.

Back