Laminating a Table Top - Advice Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Stig

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of making a table top for a dining room table although I'm unsure of the practicalities of it at the minute. I've decided that it would be made up of 40mm staves which I would simply glue along the length without biscuits because of the narrow width. What would people recommend for joining the end-grain? Is it best to simply clean it up and then glue and clamp or should I do something else? I really don't fancy finger jointing.

TopPlan.jpg

I plan to use a number of different offcuts from work although they will all be hardwoods, mainly oak although there will also be some maple, beech, walnut, cherry and if I'm looking some more wenge.

I would be worried about expansion as its crossing grain so wouldn't want to use dowel, biscuits, dominos etc. In fact I wouldn't want to use glue but as its hardwood I would say just glue and a tongue and grove joint.

However If me I would use a T&G joint and some screws in "elongated" holes to allow for the movement.

I was planning on using sections that I'd machined to 40mm x 40mm so tongue and grooving isn't really an option. I agree that if I planned to us wider boards I could use T&G as it would work well. I think across the width due to the small sectional size I shouldn't get a lot of movement plus everything will be nicely kilned anyway. It just jointing the ends that I'm stuck with, on a 40 x 40 section I don't know if it'd be best just to glue the sections together. Either end of the table I will rebate and slot on the end caps so that should help minimize any movement there might be.

Sorry I think I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought you was asking about the "either end of the table" joint. From your last reply I assume you mean the end grain to end grain of the staves.

I would just use glue. 40mm staves expansion will be barely anything so I don't think I would be worried that the movement rates between the different woods would blow the joint.

That's good to know :) I'll have a look round tomorrow and see if I can find anything to start my collection of offcuts, 40mm x 40mm x 600mm, I'm sure it'll be a bit of a wait but if I laminate as I go I can just keep adding to it as new pieces appear :)

Hi Stig... LTNS!

Have you considered joining end grain with one of these

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Onl ... er_19.html

I've never done this, but I was considering making a coffee table for my 'study' using a melange of hardwoods, to get rid of offcuts. I thought I might give this cutter a go.

I would put as many pieces as possible, side by side, in my Leigh Jig, under the clamping bar. Using the horizontal guide bar, and a bush, I'd rout all the chunks in one go.
I would have to be very fussy over the ends being dead-square of course.

EDIT: I see you are using 40mm square... So that cutter is probably impractical. How about a slot cutter instead, and fixing with the smallest biscuits? I doubt if the biscuits would 'transfer' through 20mm of timber.

HTH

John :D

What about an end on end dovetail joint. It would make a striking table top.
For a few moments the thought did cross my mind but as to doing it that would be a different matter. Having said that there is nothing other than my own will stopping me from doing it!

why not collect the offcuts and decide when you have the lot, rather than make the decision now and have to stick with it. That way, if you stumble across a different wood you can distribute it throughout.

Back