L shaped hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipperhead

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm a newbie as regards forums so please bear with me. I recently read an old article on making an Edwardian style writing slope which I thought would be an interesting winter project. Effectively, it is a simple box construction, cut on an angle and hinged to form a larger 'base' within which is set a two-part, hinged writing slope. The main box hinges using what I can best describe as two capital letters 'L', one upside down below the other, the pivot being along the base line - imagine a quadrant hinge without the stay. Size wise, I guesstimate each at around 1.5 inches per vertical by about 1 inch per horizontal. Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to find a supplier of hinges of this type. Can any of you more experienced folk help me out at all please?

Thanks for the kind words of welcome. I've looked up the article which appeared in the June 2005 issue of a woodworking and woodturning magazine, the slope in question having been made by Peter Dunsmore. A Google search under 'images' showed these hinges as fairly commonplace in usage for many of the writing boxes/slopes shown. Whether that was a case of 'then', as opposed to 'now' though, I don't know.

Is this what you mean with the hinges?

Writing.jpg

Hi Roger,
Yes, that's exactly what I've been hunting for - beautiful piece of workmanship as well by the way. Ideally, I'd be looking for the 'L' hinges, a full mortice lock, escutcheons etc, hopefully from one supplier (to keep costs down). Can you help at all?

I think I can hunt out the hinge supplier (give me a while) and some of the other bits and pieces, but the escutcheon was hand cut from some square brass as the lock was an old re-fit. There are some odd angles and pitfalls in that box, so make sure you've got a really good detailed plan!

I'll hunt out the supplier for you

Thanks for that - I'd be very grateful. The plans are fairly comprehensive so, hopefully, shouldn't present too much of a problem... Just hope that's not tempting fate saying that :)
Cheers, Andy.

This is one good supplier of period hardware:

H. E. Savill - 9/12 St. Martin's Place, Scarborough YO11 2QH
01723-373032 No web site, no e-mail, but they'll get a catalogue out to you the next day.

They do all the locks, escutcheons, corners, straps etc. and just may have the hinges. I'll be able to get the details of the other place later tomorrow.

Hi
You can also try Shiners in London No 0207 636 0740 and you should get all
that you need there :)

Thanks so much for the phone numbers and address. I got a response from both J Shiners (who now apparently have a web-site under construction), as well as from H E Saville (regarding a catalogue). Fingers crossed that I'll be able to find what I'm looking for through one of them. Thanks guys.

Chris - it's about 15" x 10" (opens out to 20") and 6" deep, with a shallow drawer for paper and a compartment for pens and an inkwell.

Latest posts

Back