L eaking tyre valve seating - runflat tyre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finneyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Tested it with soapy water and it's frothing around the valve seat.
Is there a sealant I can run into the 'gap' to save having to have the tyre removed ?

Brian

no.

Do you need run flats? Are you in personal protection? If not, get rid of them and find out what your car suspension is actually capable of. you will be amazed.

sunnybob":3k6vyp26 said:
no.

Do you need run flats? Are you in personal protection? If not, get rid of them and find out what your car suspension is actually capable of. you will be amazed.

Do you have shares in tyre companies Bob? :lol: It would be a hell of a lot of tyre sales if everyone did that.
I'm like you I hate them and have had several BMWs where there wasn't a choice and where with M suspension you may as well not have suspension at all.... BUT I have a number of friends who love the damn things.

finneyb":2vge8ucj said:
Tested it with soapy water and it's frothing around the valve seat.
Is there a sealant I can run into the 'gap' to save having to have the tyre removed ?

Brian

Not safe Brian, take it to one of the fast fits for a proper repair.

Strangely, the only tale I can relate with confidence is a BMW Z4.
A close friend bought it new, hated every single mile and went to a local dealer to part it out. The dealer told him to deep six the tyres. Unbelieving, my friend said to do it, but if he didnt like it the tyres would be returned to spec and my friend would pay nothing.

The dealer was confident enough to agree.
After a test ride on the new tyres, my friend went back and asked what had the dealer done with the original car and whatever happened he wasnt getting the new car back.
The cost of the tyres was gladly paid.

most tyre places will charge you 15 quid for a valve swap, seems a worthy price for piece of mind.

run flat tyres, meh, they have there place, reckon my BIL could do with them having been stood out side his house on Monday with the worlds most pointless "compressor" screaming at us while it slowly puts air in to the tyre, funny enough it was the same story with a different tyre last time I saw him, and a bald tyre the time before that (although even run flats wont help there). can't help not being mechanically minded I guess, he's good at other things.

Back