Knotting, or how to stop the lid sticking on.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
I've used knotting before, and always run into the problem of the bottle/can lid sticking on solidly.
How do you prevent this?
Would a smear of Vaseline on the threads before first use work or ruin the solution?

Bod

I've no experience of actual knotting, but for all such things where the lid/top is likely to get "glued" tightly in place - e.g. PVA, varnish, etc, etc, I take 2 layers of thin plastic bag (could be an old shopping bag, more likely a thin used freezer bag) roughly cut a fair bit over-size. Placed over the top of the container with the original lid/top then screwed into place. Makes a reasonably air tight seal and lasts for a few "unscrews/screw up agains" until it needs replacing with a "new" bit. Probably won't last for "years" but OK until you next need the contents every few weeks/months.

Surgical type glove between lid and bottle seems to work sometimes.

While we're on the subject if you had
a theoretical stupid friend who conversely had forgotten to put knotting on a load of new door liners and had just recently noticed that he had in fact forgotten because it was theoretically showing through the several new coats of paint.... could your stupid friend use a can of spray mould block paint he might have handy instead of rubbing back several theoretical door liners or perhaps just setting fire to the whole house, claiming on the insurance and just going to live in a tent instead.
Just in case this unlikely event were ever to occur it might be handy to know....

:|

Just a thought. When I was looking at buying Tru oil the first time a top tip I picked up on here was don't take off the inner foil seal. Just pierce it and store the bottles upside down. I've not used knotting as far as memory serves but I'm guessing it's a similar consistency and maybe you only need a small amount. It's worked well for the tru oil at least where a little bit goes a long way.
In fact I store everything upside down that 'skins' now. I never use a lot of any finish (weekend warrior at best) so when I do need it the skin is at the bottom. Neat solution as long as the lid is on tight. :D

Bod":1mhcyxsv said:
Would a smear of Vaseline on the threads before first use work or ruin the solution?
Yes you can grease or oil the threads if you want to, I have some friends who routinely do this with things that are terrible for their caps getting stuck (including some where the caps can tear apart if you try to unscrew using brute force).

But IME with bottles of shellac wiping the neck dry before replacing the cap usually does enough to prevent a bad stick. You can also try tightening, then releasing about 1/8 of a turn if the cap will allow it.

If your cap does get stuck fast heating it with a hair dryer or by dunking into hot water can help loads.

Gah! Never mind the lids!
Pair of slip joint pliers will open any lid!

What about the mould stop spraaaaaaay!!!!

"While we're on the subject if you had
a theoretical stupid friend who conversely had forgotten to put knotting on a load of new door liners and had just recently noticed that he had in fact forgotten because it was theoretically showing through the several new coats of paint.... could your stupid friend use a can of spray mould block paint he might have handy instead of rubbing back several theoretical door liners or perhaps just setting fire to the whole house, claiming on the insurance and just going to live in a tent instead.
Just in case this unlikely event were ever to occur it might be handy to know...."

My stupid friend is wondering!
:roll:

Bm101,
I've got a friend that's got a stupid friend like your theoretical friend. My friend is a painter and decorator and uses zinsser B-I-N (The red tin) for knot sealing. (Interior).
Don't ask me how my friend's stupid friend knew the answer to your theoretical friend's question!!

Chris, if your stupid friend was to try out that spray he's got and finds it works on top of the paint, I think several more stupid friends might be grateful. Mine forgot about knotting like yours, and was pleased to find that only a few knots show through, so he didn't need to completely start over. :oops:

In that case , for the sake of stupid friends everywhere I will give it a go. Might take a good few weeks to be sure.
I mean obviously, I'll tell my friend to give it a go...

*phew got away with that one! 8-[

The caps of Knotting and other spirit-based solutions such as shellacs and French Polishes in bottles often stick.

The solution is to stand the offending bottle upside-down so that the cap section is immersed for a few minutes in a jar of hot (just boiled) water.

It melts and unscrews.

This is the easiest way I've found so far.
7de5ac3d074fb5e031f267a1aaba4530.jpg

Screw the knob through the lid from the underside
a366a798a97faa0379b881d59e085ca6.jpg

Then drill a suitably sized hole for a small paintbrush to fit. It's always tight to undo but has never became stuck like a wooden lidded version I tried.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have a stupid friend who has absolutely no idea what knotting is ………. How's that for stupidness :oops:

Tell your mate its just a solution for painting onto pine knots. It seals the resin . Stops it leaking out after a couple of months and making ghost shapes in your carefully primed, undercoated, painted new door liners etc for the next ten years. :|

Many thanks for all the advice.
I shall be trying the hot water approach, on a small bottle of Button polish which currently defies slip joint pliers.

Bod

Back