Kity planer thicknesser and table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenell

Reaction score
Hi all.

New to the forum but been doing some bits of woodwork with tool that came with our smallholding.

I foolishly bought a Kity woodworking set up from ebay. It was listed as working. When I got it home, the full set up does not seem to work! The table saw works, but I cannot work out how the belt moves in a manner that makes the planer thicknesser work. The chap I bought it from said he never used the thicknesser so has no idea.

Looking at it, there are other bits that should be with it but aren't. It is one motor that runs it all.
Labels say

Kity 535
Kity 511

The saw works, but I actually wanted it for the planer/thicknesser...
So do I try and make it work, or accept I was taken for a mug and cut my losses and get something else!

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 377
I don't know anything about this machine but a Google search shows that it's probably an older Kity Bestcombi K5 combination machine - minus all the safety guarding! There are also sources shown for the K5 manual but they are pay sites.

I assume that this is the type where the saw is mounted on a metal plate and the motor is also mounted on the same plate and the plate is fixed to the table. I also assume that the motor has a pulley at both ends.
If all that is correct the saw complete with the mounting plate and motor needs to be moved to a position nearer to were the planer is on the table and the planer needs to be turned round and mounted on the other side of the table and towards the opposite end of the table to the saw so that the pulleys on the other end of the motor and the planer line up and the planer is then driven via another belt that wont be as long as the one on the saw.
In use only 1 machine is connected to the motor at any time but both will use different belts.
As said above there does seem to be safely parts and the fence missing from the saw but the planer looks complete.

Powertools, and RogerP, thanks for the replies. I had contacted a forum member for instruction booklet and the lack of safety features was also pointed out. Fear not, it is not being used until I can sort it out.

I have added a picture of the set up with the motor in relation to the saw and planer. Am not sure I can see in my head what you mean Powertools...do I need to get hold of a different belt in addition to the one that is on already?
Sorry for being thick :oops:

Attachments

• Kity2a.jpg
    Kity2a.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 310
I can't think of a better way of explaining things realy.
Your motor only has pulley at one end and is not the set up I described and even if you used a shorter belt for the planer I think it may well run in the wrong direction in its current position.

I may be wring, but the motor pulley looks to have two scheves to take the belt. I looks as though you simpy take the belt off the saw, and move it across to the planer pulley moving the belt on the saw pulley to realign.

The planer will need to rotate faster than the saw, hence the larger diameter scheve available on the motor pulley.

Fully check out that the spindle on the planer and the knives are secure before you start it up. It's rather exciting if the knives make a stage left exit.

Hi I have the larger version of Kity tools you have

My saw table is one end of the tool stand and my planer is on the side pretty much the same as yours is laid out,

To run the planer you will have to turn the belt into a figure 8 as this makes the cutter block turn in the right direction.

I have to do this on my set up.

I hope this helps
Dave

dazzzer may be correct and I may well be wrong but looking at the first picture the in feed table for the planer is on the right so the work has to be fed over the planer in the same direction as it would be over the saw therefor I think that the planer and the saw need to both rotate in the same direction and the only way to achieve that with the machines in that configuration is with a shorter belt for the planer.
Wood is fed through the thicknesser from the opposite end.

If anyone can post some pictures of how you set it up, I would really appreciate it. I have tried to set it so the two bits line up but the belt is then to long.

How do you do the figure of 8 dazzer

Hopefully dazzer will be back to explain his solution to your problem but I think that before anybody can be of further help we need to go back to basics and the first thing we need to know is when looking at the pulley end of the motor does it rotate in a clockwise or anticlockwise direction?

Hi I took a few pics of my Planner/Thicknesser and saw setup so you can see how I run my saw and my P/T

This is the motor on my set up!

DSC_0652_zps9940ec28.jpg

This shows my P/T belt which is straight and goes the correct way with the motor.

DSC_0655_zps159392ce.jpg

To use the saw on my set up I need put the drive belt into a figure of 8!

DSC_0653_zpsadac6555.jpg

The saw is now connected to the motor although the belt is in a figure of 8 this allows the saw to run the right way!

DSC_0651_zpsd6ce8e81.jpg

I hope this helps and if you need anymore info then please ask and I will try to help you out :)

All the best
Dave

Thanks everyone. Had a rubbish day trying to sort out a roofing prob. I will check the direction the motor pully turns tomorrow.
I have had a drink! (hammer)

I noticed there seems to be some sort of yellow diagram on top of the motor which shows pully's but sadly it has peeled off in all the important places.

I think you are getting confusing advice here. If you look at your machine as in your photo, the saw and planer are both set up facing the same way, to the right. You'd stand at the front (which is to the R in your picture) and feed wood over the saw from R to L. You'd do the same with the planer as the infeed (adjustable) table is on the R. That means that both the saw blade and the cutter block should be rotating in the same direction (clockwise) in your photo. There's no need to crossover the belt at all. If you look at dazzer's setup, he's got the planer and saw facing in opposite directions, unlike yours. If your saw works OK then the motor is rotating correctly - clockwise when looked at from the pulley end.

The motor should be set up in such a way that the belt can run from motor to saw or from motor to planer, which may need two different belts - or it may be possible to reposition the saw or planer on the table. The large diameter pulley on the motor should ideally line up with the small diameter one on the planer shaft to drive the cutter block as fast as possible. The saw should be set up so you can shift the belt to run on the saw pulley and the smaller one on the motor. It looks to me as if you may have to compromise and run the planer on its larger pulley - not much of a problem really.

As others have said, with no fence and no guards or riving knife, the machine is unsafe to use at all.

I would also double check that there is earth continuity from the mains plug through to the frame of the machine.

Once you've got it sorted, the planer is a nice bit of kit used within its limits. Keep the tables well waxed - the alloy can get a bit sticky. Also keep the chain drive to the thicknesser lubricated and oil the four corner screws occasionally. You can still get new blades for the cutter block quite easily.

As said it's a 2 year old post but in case any new users read this, it is confusing so:

1) It is not a K5. It's an earlier version where the table and machines were bought separate.

2) The belt does not need to cross over. On a K5 it does but only for operation the spindle moulder.

I hope the OP sorted out the guarding before using and any newbies please do not use a machine in this condition, it's downright dangerous. Not only lack of above saw guarding but the blade below the table - far to easy to reach under where it can't be seen and lose a hand - scary stuff!

Bob

There were two combination machines that I craved from my teens onwards, a Coronet Major and a Kity K5, well I have a coronet Major and it does everything and more that a k5 can do. These two machines really cornered the must have amateur market in the 50's and into the 60's. If I had the space and at the moment I don't, I'd love a K5 just for the thrill of fulfilling a lifelong lust for one. So if anyone in the future decides to part with one or finds one in need of TLC please do let me know.

Wildman":8mitqysq said:
There were two combination machines that I craved from my teens onwards, a Coronet Major and a Kity K5, well I have a coronet Major and it does everything and more that a k5 can do. These two machines really cornered the must have amateur market in the 50's and into the 60's. If I had the space and at the moment I don't, I'd love a K5 just for the thrill of fulfilling a lifelong lust for one. So if anyone in the future decides to part with one or finds one in need of TLC please do let me know.

I have the one before the K5
I will get some pics when get a chance
i dont think It will get put together by me
I was just going to rig up the thicknesser to use, but not sure I will bother

Steve

Wildman":3ed06afx said:
. So if anyone in the future decides to part with one or finds one in need of TLC please do let me know.

I know of one for sale in Berlin :lol:

Latest posts

Back