Kity K5 Extension Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhenry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've just bought a Kity K5 and am new to the forum. One thing that I would like is an extension table for the table saw. Does anyone know where I could get one of these? Alternatively if anyone knows where I could source the extension rails (so I can try replicate the official extension table) or has any ideas as to how I could fabricate something that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David

Hello and welcome.I also have a K5, for small jobs.
Mine's about 1979 white, with splayed legs and yellow guarding.
Finding a set of those will be very remote.
Should you be fairly handy,you could make you're own by getting some alloy the same size and section as you're fence
is mounted on.This will need to be long enough to make 1, or 1 each side, and infill the middle with mdf, or whatever
you should choose. I have seen this alloy for sale on Fleabay some time ago.
HTH, Regards Rodders

THnaks Rodders.

I suspected that it would be difficult to find a set. That said, finding tubing the same profile and size as the tubing that the fence usually mounts on is proving equally tough at least as far as the profiles available off the shelf goes. Ciy anyone has any luck finding this I would love to hear where you sourced he extension rail material.

Thanks

David

You could try nma agencies- they used to have some kity spares although not a huge amount for older machines.

Axminster are selling the TS200 extension table at a discounted price - it might be able to be adapted to your table.
the extension kit includes 2 rails . table . and long fence - The online manual for the TS200 has details of how it fits.
I have no idea if this would work with the K5 - but it might.

Dhenry":1rntml5w said:
THnaks Rodders.

I suspected that it would be difficult to find a set. That said, finding tubing the same profile and size as the tubing that the fence usually mounts on is proving equally tough at least as far as the profiles available off the shelf goes. Ciy anyone has any luck finding this I would love to hear where you sourced he extension rail material.

Thanks

David

Did you say tube? for the fence to run on?
Can you put on a pic?
Rodders

Personally, I would not recommend the TS200 extension table.

It is bad. It is a pressed sheet metal affair that is impossible to setup so that stuff slides over the cast iron saw top and the extension table.

I re-used the extension arms and built a much flatter top out of plywood and a steel sheet laminate on top.

Thanks all for your comments/input.

Marcros - I contacted NMA Agencies who unfortunately advised that they are unable to help with Kity spares these days so I guess Ebay is now the number one place to try for these now.

Blackrod - The tubing that I am referring to is the tubing that comprises the extension arms of the table that also doubles as the locking point for the rip cut fence. I've just discovered that the picture that I took is a little grainy so I will will take a better one and upload it.

finish_that / Bodgers - Thanks for flagging the TS200 extension table and for your comments on that. Going on the available options I think it sounds like the best solution (short of finding the Kity extension table on ebay) is to adopt your approach Bodgers and cannibalise the arms and fence from the TS200 extension table and then just use a section of laminated plywood to fill the gaps between the arms. If I go down this root I will try and post some pictures showing how I did this/the end result in case anyone else is having the same issues and would find it useful.

Thanks

David

It will be rather wasteful to use the ts bits as the extension beds appear to be somewhat Cra**y.
I have found that the people that make the road signs do use a very similar alloy extrusion but it is about 4mm thinner.
So, my plan, IIRC, is to extend the saw bed on the right hand side by moving the Kity fence piece far to the right,
Using the alloy (above,from the sign shop) and match the back for size, and the return, on the right, and fill in with 12mm decent ply, rebated to sit between the thinner alloy but 4 mm on top.
This should give me another 250mm, I believe wide, but still be light and strong enough
Rodders

Hi David

Sorry but you haven't a cat in Hells chance of finding an original as relatively few of them were sold and those that were would be sold on with the machine. Out of the many machines we sold out of my branch, not one was ordered with a table - except mine that is :wink:

My machine is 1987 and second generation K5, which one is yours?, leg shape, colours, spindle size will date it if you can't tell from the plate. Pm me with your email address if you want a copy of the manual, original price / accessory list and brochure!

The ext table is very useful but it is flimsy and consists only of 2 replacement rails which aren't tubes but square alloy bar machined out with a T slot similar to the short originals as the existing T nuts are re-used. 2 pressed cross plates about 100 mm wide and a longer guide which clamps both ends. That said, once set up it's pretty accurate.

You'll need to fabricate something up yourself but I can take measurements and photos if of any use to you as the machine is reasonably accessible.

cheers
bob

Lons":1nu3jex6 said:
Hi David

Sorry but you haven't a cat in Hells chance of finding an original as relatively few of them were sold and those that were would be sold on with the machine. Out of the many machines we sold out of my branch, not one was ordered with a table - except mine that is :wink:

My machine is 1987 and second generation K5, which one is yours?, leg shape, colours, spindle size will date it if you can't tell from the plate. Pm me with your email address if you want a copy of the manual, original price / accessory list and brochure!

The ext table is very useful but it is flimsy and consists only of 2 replacement rails which aren't tubes but square alloy bar machined out with a T slot similar to the short originals as the existing T nuts are re-used. 2 pressed cross plates about 100 mm wide and a longer guide which clamps both ends. That said, once set up it's pretty accurate.

You'll need to fabricate something up yourself but I can take measurements and photos if of any use to you as the machine is reasonably accessible.

cheers
bob

Lons, Apologies to both you and Myford man for getting mixed up as to which of you sent the manual for my k5,
and the other of whom answered my electrical problem, A senior moment,for me I have to say!
Thanks and regards Rodders

blackrodd":2ba6j34g said:
Lons, Apologies to both you and Myford man for getting mixed up as to which of you sent the manual for my k5,
and the other of whom answered my electrical problem, A senior moment,for me I have to say!

:lol: :lol: Bet you don't have as many of those as I do!

I didn't notice tbh. I've sent out so many now all around the world I have no idea who the recipients are and I'm pretty sure some of those have been passed on again. which is exactly how it should be. I get quite a few from people who see the posts on the forum and email me direct without joining. A bit surprising they don't make the effort.
I'm amazed at how many of these little machines still seem to be in use.

cheers
Bob

The Kity was very well made, in my opinion and today there are no equal for quality and reliability, certainly out of China today, I believe.
My father passed his Scheppach hm2 kombi on to me and bought A Kity, around 20 years ago.
I think it knocked spots off the Scheppach.
I still have the Kombi, down my bottom workshop, and use it for the occasional bigger jobs.
I use the old K5 in another old building which I prefer and i'm not surprised at their lasting so long.

Lons, Reading through some old posts I see that you paid £800. for you'rs in 1987
Which, according to the inflation calculater on Gargle is just £2,097 today!
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":3d07oms0 said:
Lons, Reading through some old posts I see that you paid £800. for you'rs in 1987
Which, according to the inflation calculater on Gargle is just £2,097 today!
Regards Rodders

Yep, it wasn't cheap in those days though that price included an extension table and a couple of other bits and it is the 5 function machine. It was the only one of it's type at the time built around individual machines / one motor and the concept appealed to me. I'd just bought a house that needed full restoration and it lived in the lounge for 6 months which was my temporary workshop. It did an amazing amount of work with compatitive ease.

Unfortunately I bought it 12 months before joining a main distributor or as branch manager, I could have bought it at cost :(

Like you, I have it stored away and drag it out for smaller jobs, have even lugged it on to site a couple of times. For the bigger stuff I have a SIP cast table saw, Robland planer thicknesser, very old Kity moulder and an Axminster morticer, oh and a Startrite 352. I doubt I'll ever part with the K5 though :lol:

Hi Bob

I feared that might be the case so am planning on buying an Axminster extension table and then modifying it to suit. I had hoped to be able to source some square alloy bar to use as the replacement rails (with the same profile as the existing rails) although that seems even harder to find than the extension tables themselves! If you could let me know the length of your extension rails that would be handy.

My machine is actually the later Kity Bestcombi Compact K5 which was the green one with the square legs and a red sticker reading "Kity Bestcombi" on the bottom horizontal rail. I have a copy of the original instruction manual for it although if you have any other material on it that would be really interesting to see. My email address is david-henry at hotmail . co . uk (but obviously without the spaces and with the "at" replaced).

On another topic, where do you get your spares for your machine? Planer blades seem to be easily sourced on eBay as are saw blades/bore reducers. However, the only supplier of replacement drive belts and mortise bits that I can find is in France - you haven't found a supplier for these in the UK have you? Also, am I right in thinking that French cutters for the spindle moulder are no longer sold in the UK (at least as new parts)?

Lastly, on behalf of what I suspect is quite a few users on this forum could I thank you for the many posts that you have submitted on the Kity K5. I searched through them before buying my own machine and found them hugely helpful so thank you.

Thanks again

David

Rodders - If you go on Ebay and include international sellers in your search results you will see that there is a retailer in France who advertises K5 belts for sale. I have not ordered any from them myself as I was trying to find a vendor for these in the UK.

Thanks for posting that link Powertools.

Dhenry":1ojknxfy said:
Rodders - If you go on Ebay and include international sellers in your search results you will see that there is a retailer in France who advertises K5 belts for sale. I have not ordered any from them myself as I was trying to find a vendor for these in the UK.

Thanks for posting that link Powertools.

Dhenry, couldn't find the french seller of belts.
If you see the ad again please pass a link if possible.

Back