Kity 636

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heronviewer

Established Member
Reaction score
About 35 years ago I bought a Kity large machine table with the 612 bandsaw, 627 spindle moulder, 652 slot boring machine, 635 planer thicknesser and a 617 circular saw. All powered off one motor.

They have been very good for what I do, but I have always regretted not getting the 636 planer thicknesser which could be fitted as an alternative to the smaller 635.

I've thought about getting a 636 recently as they seem to be regularly offered for sale.

However, the 635 has aluminium tables and the winding handle is on the opposite side to the hinge of the outfeed table. The illustration in my handbook is of a 636 with the same layout as my 635.

The 636s I have seen offered for sale are mounted and powered alone, have the winding handle on the same side as the outfeed table hinge and some of the advertisments say it has cast iron tables.

This is the most recent I've seen advertised
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/planer-thickn ... SwlndZB4SM

Are there two versions of the 636 ? Could the stand-alone model be altered to use on the large machine table or could it be used as it is ?

Advice much appreciated !

Just in case... did you know that the winding handle (as in the link you have there) is just sat on its storage spigot, and that it affixes on the opposite side when in thicknesser mode.

No, I didn't know that - on the 635 there is no storage spigot. In the planeing mode it is just wherever you want to put it - no storage provided. Thank you ! That clears one point !

I am the same as you in that i purchased a similar kity machine also about 35 years ago. I have the much smaller 535 plainer that i am happy with my only regret is that i didn't buy the tool grinding attachment and that empty space on the table always reminds me that i should have. Brilliant machine though and has and still does give me much pleasure.

Is it the Kity K5 that you have ? The one I have is on the Kity 700 large machine table. I do have the 642 grinding attachment but I don't think I've ever used it - I got TCT knives for the planer almost as soon as I bought it and they get sharpened for me (not very often either).

Mine is not a k5
I have the same table as you with a 627 spindle moulder 652 morticer 617 table saw and the smaller 535 plainer thicknesser.
At the time i also bought many extras including sliding tables and a fair amount sm tooling and for some reason a flexible shaft attachment that i have never used. At the time it had been my intention to buy the whole system over a period of time but as those of you who were in their 30's during the late 1980's earley 1990's thing's got a bit tough and i made do with what i had. Fortunately i did buy the planer blade sharpener that fits on the side of the plainer that has been very useful.
Recently i purchased a 613 bandsaw from a forum member and i am happy with my setup but just find that empty space on the table a bit of a disappointment

Latest posts

Back