Kity 613 wiring question...is it safe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1977

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there again,

Now that I have the bearings cleaned and new thrust bearing on its way I thought I would open up the motor housing and take off all the black electrical tape that was covering the switch block.

Kity613 motor housing.jpeg

I'm glad I did because it was really quite dusty in there...maybe even a hazard? But what interested me even more was the rating on the large capacitor on the left...

Kity613 capacitor.jpeg

This left me worried that this unit my have been subject to a 3 phase to 1 phase conversion at some point, although the motor is clearly rated at single phase:

Kity613 motor label.jpeg

I'm sure that there is nothing to worry about but if anyone out there knows about such things your reassurance would be most appreciated! :?

Also, under all the tape was this rather strange arrangement for the plug, which again looks as though it may have been a 3 phase conversion:

Kity613 wiring.jpeg
Kity613 switch.jpeg

I'd like to get this all looking a little more conventional (and safe!!) so any thoughts from the knowledgeable would again be welcomed.

Hopefully I'm not too far off putting this machine to use!!

Cheers

Attachments

• Kity613 motor housing.jpeg
    Kity613 motor housing.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,930
  • Kity613 capacitor.jpeg
    Kity613 capacitor.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,930
  • Kity613 motor label.jpeg
    Kity613 motor label.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,931
  • Kity613 wiring.jpeg
    Kity613 wiring.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,931
  • Kity613 switch.jpeg
    Kity613 switch.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,931
Oh and yes...that is sold core wiring coming out of the 'hacked' blue socket...then straight into a standard 13Amp plug...obviously one of the first things I want to do is replace this with 1.0mm or 1.5mm flex.

Hello,

Capacitors have a max working voltage on them, not an operating voltage. These are fine in your machine. If you take the back off a stereo or something, the capacitors there, often tiny, can be rated as much as 600V but the sets are only meant to run on domestic mains, obviously. BTW, three phase machines don't run off capacitors, so another clue that your machine is fine. If you are still a bit ambiguous, I have a 613 myself and the Cap is the same! :D

Mike.

Thanks Mike that's good to know. I guess I'll just strip out the motor and give it all a good clean and lube all the adjustable bits with a dry lube. Oh and replace the shoddy mains cable!!

Out of interest do you have the original fence and mitre gauge? I've been looking at third party offerings, but really struggling to find a mitre gauge that fits the not-standard dovetail on my table. Any suggestions?

It seems like a\ very solid bit of kit though, so I hope that the effort I'm putting into tidying it up will be worth it.

Michael

Hello,

I do have the original fence, but the mitre fence was not standard issue, and had to be bought as an optional extra. I didn't get one, since I seldom crosscut on a bandsaw, but the slot is a standard Kity size and the tablesaw mitre gauge fits, which I also had at the time. If you look around on the bay etc, they sometimes come up for sale. My 613 has been lent semi permanently to a friend, but I might have a spare rip fence (if it has not been lost by the lender) Is the front fence rail still present? I will go and visit the said friend in the next few weeks, and you are welcome to it , if all is well though it wont be much good if you do not have the rail. you might be better making something up if this is the case. As far as miter fence, you should be able to make a hardwood strip to fit the slot and make 90 degree and various standard mitres angle fences to attach, until a proper mitre gauge turns up.

Mike.

The blue socket and plug are standard fittings on single phase continental equipment my Elektra Beckum saw, planer/ thicknesser and dust extractor and my Elu router table all have those fittings. I had to modify the arrangement on the router table but for the other items they have proved to be quite acceptable. Either repair and sort out or replace whatever best fits what your able to do and suits.

Steve

MG1977":12yebfre said:
Oh and yes...that is sold core wiring coming out of the 'hacked' blue socket...then straight into a standard 13Amp plug...obviously one of the first things I want to do is replace this with 1.0mm or 1.5mm flex.

I would fit at least 1.5mm flex. The motor says 4.9A on the plate but it doesn't say if that is peak or RMS. I can tell you which it is but that's not the point I'm making.

Cheers Mike that would be amazing if you do turn up a spare!! The rail is all there and it would be brilliant to be able to match up with an original \:D/

I figured the mitre gauge might be more of a problem...the DIY route will be fine for now. I don't yet have a table saw so cross cuts going to be on this or my dewalt sliding mitre (very limited on space!!) but I'm sure I'll be able knock something up as I mentioned in other posts on the subject.

Steve, thanks for letting me know...as someone fairly new to 'machinery' and who hasn't ever purchased these older tools before I was quite nervous about the electrics, although I had previously plugged it in and it works!

I think things were made worse by the fact that the previous owner had 2.5mm T+E solid core coming out of what (because of its unfamiliarity) looked like a jerry rigged switch unit!! :shock: This was all wrapped in electrical tape (pretty standard DIY bodge!!) but that's all cleaned up and what emerged is a Tripus 20A motor start switch and a legrand (French style) 2P+E female socket.

I'll rewire this with some quality orange 1.0mm flex. As the motor is only 0.7KW (4.9A) will that be okay, or does it need a larger conductor size to cope with the inrush current? #-o

I'm pretty sure the 2.5T+E that's there is overkill and certainly should be flex not cable!

Any thoughts guys?

haha...cheers MMUK...I missed your post when I replied above. I'll get some 1.5mm to be on the safe side. I did look up how to calculate inrush current, but as I'm no electrician the motor's spec sticker is all a little greek to me!!

Thanks again

Finished early today and managed to get the cleaning and wiring finished.

It sounds good running. Hope to get the wheels off over the weekend and clean out the wheel bays, retension the drive belt and then set about putting it all back together, aligning the blade, guides and table etc. :lol:

Quite enjoying this as a project in itself and hopefully others might find the process useful....only hope I'm not boring anyone yet!! :roll:

Clean Motor Housing.JPG

Attachments

• Clean Motor Housing.JPG
    Clean Motor Housing.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,780
Looks like your doing a great job with that, I have just bought a Kity 613 myself. going to pick it up next weekend...Lets hope at the bargain price of £70 its not a complete mess!!!

If it is i might be coming to you for some advice.

Great find Richard...even if it needs a little work £70 is a steal! I paid £180 for mine and thought that was a good deal compared to what most go for on t'bay. Not sure I'll be able to offer much advice, but more than happy to help if I can.

Let us know when you get it!

I have a kity 613, I had to retread the tyres.

I would not advice to take the wheels off! Getting them setup again is a real pain. I managed to take the tyre of the top wheel with out removing the wheel. A bit more of a pain, but easier than trying to get the wheel off and having to reset. As I found out on the bottom wheel!

hello! my dad has had an issue with the wiring on his Kity planer, the solenoid has court on fire, dose anyone have a wiring diagram or picture of theres i could go off for a rebuild?

thanks
josh

Latest posts

Back