Kitchen Worktop Joints - sealing recommendations ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yetty

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to butt joint two lengths of kitchen worktops to make a longer run. It's regular Formica Axion. I want to seal the cut ends to protect the joint from moisture.

Axion installation notes simply suggest using "...silicon sealant or contact adhesive...", but there are so many silicons in the Screwfix catalogue, so I'm not sure which to choose.

Any product recommendations most welcome!

Trend do (or at least they used to)a range of worktop jointing compound/fillers, very similar to those in B&Q or anywhere else you may get a worktop from, they are very good, and waterproof, I had never realised how much adhesion they had until someone decided they wanted a different worktop only 12months after I'd fitted one for them, and boy was it stuck well.

Otherwise, pretty much any silicone sealant will do, obviously try to colour match as much as possible, mask up along each edge (keep a couple of mm back) put plenty of silicone into the joint and cramp it up, you can either clean it off there and then using spirit, or you can wait until it's dry around 24hrs later and cut it off with a sharp blade, either way work well.

If you have a joint next to a sink, you can seal the edge of the worktop with PVA first, that should keep the moisture out.

Drudgeon":3nntpods said:
If you have a joint next to a sink, you can seal the edge of the worktop with PVA first, that should keep the moisture out.
Very bad practice to have a joint alongside a sink :eek:
What's the length of your worktop Yetty? Axiom comes in 4.1m lengths

Any cuts i do i always seal with a couple of coats of yacht varnish, still there a couple of years later
Regards Rodders

Drudgeon":12o29d13 said:

I didn't think pva was waterproof, or even water resistant ?

I seem to remember threads on another forum about making sure not to prime walls with pva before tiling as any moisture afterwards through the grouting or elsewhere could cause the pva to soften/dissolve and the tiles fall off !

Personally I would use enough silicone sealant to seal the joint surfaces, and as said, plan to not have joints close to the sink in any event.

Cheers, Paul

Colorfil, its made for the job, they should have a match to Axiom colours.

For cut edges that are not being joined such as sink and hob cutouts wipe on a good coat of silicon, contact adhesive as a second choice.

http://www.colorfill.co.uk/

>If you have a joint next to a sink, you can seal the edge of the worktop with PVA first, that should keep the moisture out.<

PVA is not suitable as a sealant on worktops. One of the worktop makers states this on their data sheet which accompanies their worktops.

+1 for colour fill but dont hang about with it get the joint bolted up strait away as it goes off petty quick. I usually scrape the excess off with my thumb nail and then clean up with colour fill solvent. HTH Bern.

Unfortunately some people cannot avoid having a joint somewhere close to a sink due to space constraints, and I've never had any issues with a good quality waterproof PVA adhesive as a sealant, I've found it works pretty well, having said that, if everything else is done correctly then the moisture need never get as far as the core of the worktop.

As Jason and Bern say colorfill is what you need, should be easy to get hold of. Wickes, howdens and various other places sell it.

Sorry to disagree, but as a kitchen fitter of 15 years and a veteran of hundreds of worktop fits, silicone (clear) is the correct thing to use. Coat each side completely and bolt up, any excess will squeeze out. If you have machined the joint correctly, the edges of the formica should close together completely, thus negating the need for coloured fillers to disguise any gap ( which WILL let in water eventually).

Cheers, Mark

What a fantastic response! Just the what I'd hoped for, so thank you, thank-you, thank-you, thank-you....

The worktop run is over 4.6 metres, hence two pieces. To give the joint support, I've planned its position to be over a cabinet side panel beneath. Fortunately the sink will be about 0.7 metres clear of the joint.

Mark, if going down the silicon route, is there a particular brand & type that works well for you?

No particular brand, but don't use cheap ones - always a false economy. just make sure your customer ( or you?) understand, even a perfectly executed joint will let in water over time if its left lying on it, so dry it up with a cloth and it should last a long time. I like to creep up on a fit, gradually tightening the bolts and tapping it level until its perfect. If you tighten it up before its all level and then try and tap it level, the formica will invariably break, as it less compressive than the chipboard underneath and thus will stick out very slightly further once you tighten, so level first and then tighten. I use a piece of hardwood and hammer, and go easy. Done correctly, the joint should be almost invisible. use a new cutter and make sure the pieces are all properly supported and your jig clamped really tightly.

markturner":45rfbrcy said:
Sorry to disagree, but as a kitchen fitter of 15 years and a veteran of hundreds of worktop fits, silicone (clear) is the correct thing to use. Coat each side completely and bolt up, any excess will squeeze out. If you have machined the joint correctly, the edges of the formica should close together completely, thus negating the need for coloured fillers to disguise any gap ( which WILL let in water eventually).

Cheers, Mark

In my early years of worktop fitting i used silicon for joints but although it forms a watertight and very strong joint i found it showed up the joint more than colour fill did .Have you tried it Mark ? I suggest you have a trail go at both Yetty and find out what works best for you. HTH Bern.

Well, like I said, there should be zero gap showing if its done correctly. And of course, you can slather too much silicone on which may hamper a tight fit. Its one of things that only experience can give you. A bad joint will need disguising and that's where colourfill can come in handy. But surely better to machine it properly in the first place.......

Also, surely you have some latitude, with 2 full lengths as to where this joint goes? There must be another cupboard edge or panel, further away from the sink that you can use instead. Having it right next to the sink is asking for trouble really.......

Some companies we fitted for used to supply a tube of colourfill with worktops for when we fitted their kitchens - I tried it a few times, but found it dried too quickly and made it difficult to pull up the joint properly. Silicone has a longer working time.

markturner":if2bswwx said:
Also, surely you have some latitude, with 2 full lengths as to where this joint goes? There must be another cupboard edge or panel, further away from the sink that you can use instead. Having it right next to the sink is asking for trouble really.......

Spot on. You want the joint well away from the sink, 700mm is a bit close.
Do you have a picture or plan of the layout Yetty ?

700mm - that's over two foot three. I'd have thought if you had problems with water that far from the sink, you had done something wrong? It might not be perfect, but I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem unless the job was spectacularly badly done?
I've just looked at the house we've just bought and the join is 4" from the drainer (right across the front). I shall have to be careful when I replace those tops!

Again, thanks for all your input, it's appreciated.

Here's a drawing of the kitchen. Full support under the worktop is at points A to H. The worktop comes in nominal lengths 4100mm.

Currently, the plan was joint at Point F, requiring lengths 1424mm and 3196mm. But sink is about 0.7m away.

Alternatively, maybe the joint could be positioned at Point G, using lengths 698mm and 3922mm. It's increases sink distance, but uses a shortish piece just 698mm long, I wonder if that might be more prone to sag.

Is position G better than F ?

Back