Kitchen Worktop Joints - sealing recommendations ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Debating Color fill v's silicone in kitchen fitting circles is like a sharpening thread on a bad day.

I'm in the business and there is no clear winner, silicone is easy to source and very effective at sealing the surface and if the the joint pulls up well then it'd great however in some colours of top it does show quite clearly as a dark line but generally only if the surfaces to be joined aren't flush. Colourfill is designed for the job but there are many who will swear over time it will become a weak point. If it were me? I'd use Cascamite, waterproof, good gap filling properties and long working time, plus it will get penetrate into the chipboard which the other two don't (very much).

One observation as somebody who designs kitchen for a living, flip your sink to get more clearance to the left of the hob. You need to have sufficient space to feed in and out when cooking. Kitchen ergonomics and all that.

I feel very strongly about this subject, having suffered at least twice from 'blown' worktops with all the subsequent hassle and expense that that involves.

To seal the cut 'chipboard' edges you should use a good-quality white non-drip gloss oil-based paint. PAINT because it's quick and easy to apply. WHITE because you can see where you've painted and where it needs a second coat or extra blobbing. NON-DRIP because it's convenient and usually THICK for good sealing. OIL-BASED because you don't want to apply anything containing water.

Do not use PVA solutions because they are water-based, and although when dry they don't dissolve in water they still let through some moisture. They are not truly waterproof. Do not use silicones (caulks) because they are too thick or pasty to easily penetrate the chipboard surfaces and so are very difficult to apply and may not seal completely. Do not use a varnish, because it's hard to see where you've painted and where there are missed patches. It's also usually very 'drippy'.

There, I've said my piece!

Welcome to the forum.
In case you hadn't noticed, This thread is 4 months old.
I agree with you regarding the water based "sealer"
As you can see on my earlier remarks, I like to use a good yacht varnish to seal any cut ends, has always worked for me.
Regards Rodders

Thanks for your welcome! Indeed, I had noticed the age of the topic, but late comments are still useful to people looking for help and info well after the topic has petered out, as I was.

Cheers, Alan

Latest posts

Back