Kitchen Wall Unit WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flounder

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO has decided she wants something in the kitchen that will have both shelving for her cook books and also some drawers for things like rice, dried pulses etc The wall area where it is to be fitted isnt big so that limits the size the unit can be. I am completely hopeless at Sketchup so I tend to work from scribbled sketches so cant post what it should end up looking like!
The unit will be made from tulipwood as it will have a painted finish. I would have made it from mdf but swmbo insisted it be made from 'real wood'!

The stock was all planed and thicknessed..
DSCN1438.jpg

Boards were then jointed and glued up for the sides and shelves..
DSCN1444.jpg

One side was then cut to shape on the bandsaw and then fettled with a drum sander mounted in a pillar drill. This was then used as a template to route the second side...
DSCN1448.jpg

The shelves and drawer partitions fit into routed housings..
DSCN1462.jpg

Glued up and cramped...
DSCN1459.jpg

A french cleat has been added to hang it on...
DSCN1463.jpg

The stock for the drawer sides cut to length..
DSCN1465.jpg

..and then fettled on the shooting board...
DSCN1464.jpg

Decided to dovetail the drawer boxes for no other reason than I wanted to!..
DSCN1466.jpg

They will eventually have these handles fitted onto false fronts..
DSCN1439.jpg

more to follow...

its looking good so far but I think you should have had the grain on the dividers going the same way as the grain on the carcase. Tulip wood generally moves a bit when taken indoors and the uprights may end up being slightly proud of the carcase when it dries out a bit.

cheers

jon

JonnyD":fuhluvkv said:
its looking good so far but I think you should have had the grain on the dividers going the same way as the grain on the carcase. Tulip wood generally moves a bit when taken indoors and the uprights may end up being slightly proud of the carcase when it dries out a bit.

cheers

jon

pipper! I had completely overlooked that! Maybe being a painted finish will minimise any drying out and subsequent movement? (he says more in groundless optimism than expectation!)

Hope so would be a shame otherwise, looks great and provided me with food for thought, need a couple of book shelfs done but maybe some mild copying and wall cabinet now i've seen this.

Back