Kitchen tea towel holder build WIP (Complete)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblue777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
So I have a couple of projects to put up but this being the one that is actually complete I thought I would start with this one.
A while ago I got hold of a 900mm (ish) by 100mm (ish) length of oak for free (had a knot in the middle of the length so had to take that off but not massive waste) and it was sitting around for a while until I used a section of it to make a new coat hook for the kids.
With this I then turned to the rest of it and pondered what I could do with it. After much thinking I realised I had a use for at least half of it by making some kitchen tea towel holders for the back of the kitchen door (to replace some grubby “temporary” hocks that I put up a while ago).
What was quite interesting for me was using this as an excuse to use a table saw for the first time. Quite scary when there is all this smoke and then only for my granddad to inform me that “that would happen, the blades are as blunt as anything”. So after butchering the wood I just tided it up by hand (I will be returning to the table saw at some point as the blade has now been sharpened and I made my granddad a better fence for the saw, as the standard one he had was awful).

WP_20140217_003_zpsd5398d6e.jpg

Yes my “workshop” is the kitchen and I am required to pack up after use, but the misses don’t mind the scroll saw staying out on the kitchen side (I’m quite lucky really)
So after re-sawing I ended up with two pieces of the same size

WP_20140218_004_zps7059be5d.jpg

I then marked out the design (for the radius of the curves I used a penny as it fit quite well)

WP_20140221_002_zps0e7b37ae.jpg

After the marking came the cutting and that was done via the scroll saw.

WP_20140221_005_zps09087c69.jpg

Once the cuts where complete I marked out the centre points for where to place the brass cup hocks to hold the tea towels and predrilled. I then done an initial fitting of the hocks.

WP_20140222_002_zps7a27c374.jpg

I then used a block plane to round off the front facing edges and smoothed with sand paper, I went to 400 grit and it was finished with a nice smooth finish

WP_20140223_004_zpsa5b64884.jpg

I then got a request and had to make two name plates for the kids. One has since been painted by one of said children (and dropped but nothing a little hot glue wont correct).

WP_20140224_001_zps313bbeb1.jpg

Back to the tea towel holder.

I missed out the staining step but I finished it with a teak finish. This was applied once dried for 10 minutes then the excess wiped off. I then applied two coats of beeswax and buffed up. The result can be seen below attached to the back of the kitchen door.

WP_20140224_002_zpscf80c7bf.jpg

And one where the light is not completely blinding

WP_20140224_003_zps10c8de04.jpg

Thanks for reading through. I should have the other WIP’s up soon

Mark

Back