Kitchen Project Completed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argee

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently finished a kitchen rebuild I started in June 2005. The work was done in phases in order to ease the inconvenience and spread the costs out a bit.

The story and pics are here if you'd like to look.

Ray.

Ray,

That double hinged door is a good idea, glad you left space for the pet to eat, nice looking job.

Very nice, Ray.

What did you make the carcasses from? MFC? Any particular jointing technique?

Any chance of more details about how you fixed the door panel over the boiler for accessibility. Does it come right off?

Cheers

Roger

Roger Sinden":1deyklaz said:
What did you make the carcasses from? MFC? Any particular jointing technique?
As I said in the article, ".... medium-density fibreboard (MDF) throughout, because a painted finish was required." All carcasses were 18mm MDF, the sink base 18mm Medite (water-resistant MDF). The bottoms had 9mm x 9mm rebates, as did the sides, fitted with the sides on top of the base rather than overhanging it. The backs were housed in 9mm trenches all round, inset 50mm in order to give a plumbing recess at the rear. 18mm rail across the front, 18mm nailer at the back where applicable. The drawer unit had a 9mm back panel, inset 15mm to allow for scribing. The sink base has a slot-in 6mm panel which allows access to the valves, etc.

Any chance of more details about how you fixed the door panel over the boiler for accessibility. Does it come right off?
The boiler is quite tiny, but still requires specific clearances all round, unless the base is removeable.

As it happens, there is no base or top - just a pocket-hole-joined rectangle of 18mm x 100mm deep, screwed to the cupboard on the right with carcass connectors and to the wall on the left with plugs into the masonry. That was just to get everything square and lined up - then the frame came out and had the majority of the left-hand stile removed by cutting through at a 15 degree angle with a Japanese pull saw. The resultant large single dovetail then slides in when re-fitted to give the illusion of a complete frame in the reveal, but simply slides out to give the required maintenance clearance and to allow the boiler front to swing out.

The door hinges off the wall-side stile (top and bottom corners, as it were) with Hafele sprung clip-ons, so the door is off in seconds. It's 70mm rails and stiles with a 6mm panel, so it doesn't weight much. Works well and the gas fitter likes it too.

Ray.

Nice kitchen, but slightly off topic I looked through the rest of your (good)website and was really impressed with your workshop.

I'm never going to have an workshop of it own, we have a Morris Minor. The amount of tools and generally how you use the space, AND then the work you produce is really inspiring :D

Latest posts

Back