Kitchen medicine cabinet, and it's my first attempt at SU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
Monday I'll be putting together a medicine cabinet for a customer to fit into a recess in a kitchen. Spec has changed since I put this sketch together, it will now be white melamine instead of wood.

Open to comments on design as I haven't submitted a finalised design to them yet.

Medicine1.jpg

Medicine2.jpg

Pretty please with the sketch, it's the first time I've used sketchup. Talk about easy to use :lol:

Martin

Well done. I keep having a little go with it but have not managed to do anything that looks remotely like anything!! How long did it take you to master it?

anyone have any suggestions what sort of hinges I should use for the doors? They'll be flush fitting and made of white melamine. Looked at the ones you usually get on kitchen cupboards, they look too big and cluumsy for this.

Martin.

Martin,

Great first attempt.

The extraneous lines on the edges of your curved components can be removed with the eraser tool in conjunction with either the Shift or Control key. Which does what I can never remember, and what the difference is I don't know :oops: . If one gives the wrong result, try the other.

However a better method is not to create the lines in the first place. Download the Weld tool from the Ruby Scripts Library and use it on the outline of the shelf before you Pull it out to thickness.

P.S. matters of Design generally and CAD in particular should normally be posted in the Design Forum. No doubt a moderator will move this thread there in due course. :wink:

P.S.2. If you could make your pictures a little narrower then those of use who use small screens will be able to view this thread wihthout having to scroll side-to-side.

Looks like an interesting idea. A good way to use the space I expect.

For a first attempt, I'd say you did a nice job. if I had the model I could tell more about how you built it. With some experience and proper technique you could get the time on this model down to under 10 minutes. ;)

Nick gave you some good advice about the vertical lines at the ends of the arcs. The Eraser tool with Ctrl would be appropriate here as it softens the line rather than simply hiding it which is done with Shift. The Weld Ruby script would be a good tool to prevent the lines from showing in the first place.

Posted in this forum because it is going to be a wip with build pics. The posting of my design was an afterthought.

I'll look at reducing the pic sizes after work too.

Martin

Well I made a start, got all the materials cut and dadoed/rabeted. Dryfitted the parts and suprisingly everyhting fits :shock:

I must admit that handling an 8x4 sheet of ply in a 10x16 shop is interesting, thank god for wheels on all my tools.

Have even done some wip pics... and left the camera in the shop ](*,)

I'll post them tomorrow.

edit: forgot to mention I bought 2 sheets of ply and thanks to cutlist, got the entire project out of just 3/4 of one sheet. My calcs used 1 and a half :shock: . Guess I gotta do the bookshelves for HID now :roll:

Back