Kitchen island unit - UPDATED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYorke

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a kitchen island unit I've been making recently.

The customer showed me a picture of one that she liked, and after a few design tweaks I've built this.

It still requires doors and a back to the cupboard part and the top coat still needs doing but I couldn't wait to put it on here.

So here goes.....

null-1.jpg

null-2.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-2-1.jpg

Have really enjoyed building it. Have never done anything close to this and it's actually made of wood instead MDF!

What you think?

So here is the finished piece. I forgot to add the picture here until now.

Cheers for looking.

Lovely bit of work that MrYorke, very nice indeed.

Looks like we have finally found our new house and I've been looking for ideas for freestanding kitchen units. I rather fancy making something like this.

I'd agree that some chamfers would add a nice interest, also maybe a cock bead around the openings, but very nice all the same.

I would be very happy to have that in my kitchen. You should be proud of that build quality.

Well done MrYorke !

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated. As said, it's not finished just yet.

I've got the rest of their kitchen to make now so will do the doors this week.

Not sure I agree with the chamfers though. Up close and personal it looks ok as is and like the post says above, a modern take on a classic I guess. I'll be leaving the worktop square edged as well.

Looking forward to taking it to the customers in a few weeks although I tried to lift 1 end with the top & shelves on......urm, impossible!

The Woodpecker":i00v86o6 said:
Looks really good and well finished!

What have you covered the wood with?

The worktop is Fiddes hard wax oil.....they have their factory just up the road from me.

The coloured paint is a Farrow & Ball colour matched by Johnstones.

The wine rack (birch ply angled shelf) is 50/50 Fiddes light oak stain and thinners finished with the Fiddes hard wax oil on top. This was the closest match after a few tries at their factory. I really do rate the Fiddes guys. Very helpful!

The birch ply inside is finished with the hard wax oil as well.

Very nice, chamfers on the legs is old hat, square or quadrants are in, you have to remember the average age on the forum is 82 ...... they probably had chamfers in the war....... :lol: :lol: joke fellas honest.......

Latest posts

Back