Kitchen hobs - advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
We have a Belling 4 ring ceramic hob, 2 radiant and 2 halogen - and a halogen element has just failed, and the replacement part is over £100. This is the 3rd time this has happened in the 14 years since we bought it so my feeling is that it is time for a change rather than throw more money at it. A bit of research says that halogen hobs are no longer as popular as they once were due to their high failure rate and cost of repair.

So what do we replace it with? We don't have mains gas. I read that induction is best - and we already have stainless steel saucepans that should be compatable. I also read that induction hobs are cheaper to run so over (say) a 15 year lifespan they may justify the extra cost - particularly with soaring energy costs.

Or do we go for a simple ceramic hob? Although every decision has a financial dimension to it, we have never regretted buying quality, and I can't really insist on buying Scheppach for my hobby whilst insisting that SWMBO has cheap 'n cheerful in the kitchen. Hobs get used every day so we want a good one.

Any ideas? What type? Which manufacturer? Any input gratefully received.

Roger
If you have had 14 years out of anything, then that is a good recommendation, I'd say.

I can't tell you what to buy, but I can say that we spent a fortune on Smeg and have regretted it almost every day sice. After only 7 years (and things started going wrong even during the first year warranty) we now have two ovens and a hob, none of which work fully or reliably.

Steer well clear. We want good advice ourselves. The last engineer to call simply said, "Buy German".

I tend to fit a lot of Neff appliances and don't get any comeback from them.

The other option is bottled propane, did an aga that had 6 gas burners a couple of years back and it only uses anout one 35kg bottle a year with a family of five. Would give you instant heat and a wider choice of hobs.

Jason

I would say Neff or Siemens.

The LPG idea is sound - we have a big range cooker with 6 burners and use only 1 35kg bottle a year. Normally this runs out on Christmas Eve which is when I remember that I should have replaced the spare one as well (that emptied last Christmas Eve)! :roll:

T

As my wife once memorably remarked re bottled gas (mostly memorable because I keep reminding her :lol: )

"The trouble with this damned gas is that it always runs out when you are using it!"

Roger

We've put in a couple of AEG halogen hobs and no problems so far. We particularly chose these models as they have no knobs..just a clean surface area and so dead easy to wipe down. No metal surround to the hob either to act as a dirt trap.

Having said that many cooks swear by gas.

There's a very useful website/forum for electrical goods at http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/ - well worth a browse.

I went down the LPG hob route in my last house. The installation had two cylinders and an automatic changeover valve, so when one cylinder emptied the supply wasn't interrupted. A red indicator showed that the other cylinder was now empty. Worked very well.

Guys - thanks for the input. SWMBO has vetoed gas on the basis that it is more difficult to clean all the parts after I've let the custard boil over. She has a point! Induction would mean dumping about half our saucepans, but some are pretty ancient and bought on a tight budget at the time. I get the impression that we would both really like induction, and if we get something else we will keep thinking that we should have reached just a little further into our pockets and gone for it!

Our Neff oven only died after 28 years, so that's not bad, and our Bosch dishwasher and washing machine are both going strong after 18 years. So would be happy with either.

Are there any running cost comparisons available for the various different hob type?
I've long since been curious to know the most cost effective to cook for example to boil water, Electric kettle, kettle on hob (halogen, induction, electric rings, gas rings etc), or even Microwave.

Andy

dedee":1devcm60 said:
Are there any running cost comparisons available for the various different hob type?

Andy - I read somewhere that an ordinary ceramic hob uses twice as much power as an induction hob. The induction hob provides immediate heat to the pan with virtually no warming up time, and it ONLY heats the pan rather than the whole worktop. Supposedly as quick and controllable as gas, and with similar running costs. Also SWMBO likes the idea that as it is the pan that heats up rather than the ceramic top, spillages do not bake on and can be wiped off easily.

Hi Roger

we have an induction hob (DeDietrich) and it's excellent but you may still need to change your cookware. Not all pans work - try sticking a magnet to them, we had one full set of tefal stuff from Argos that was claimed to be induction compatible but didn't work so we ended up with cast iron Le Creuset ones.
As for cooking it's as good as i remember gas for cooking, way better than the 2 halogen hobs we got rid of 18 months ago.

cheers

jim

blurk99":hixie524 said:
Hi Roger

we have an induction hob (DeDietrich) and it's excellent but you may still need to change your cookware. Not all pans work - try sticking a magnet to them, we had one full set of tefal stuff from Argos that was claimed to be induction compatible but didn't work so we ended up with cast iron Le Creuset ones.
As for cooking it's as good as i remember gas for cooking, way better than the 2 halogen hobs we got rid of 18 months ago.

cheers

jim

Thanks Jim. DeDietrich was actually a "best buy" in Which? last month along with Neff. Interesting what you say about the pans. Our existing stainless steel pans seem to be mildly magnetic but I can see us having to buy a new set if we go down the induction route.

Roger

One downside we've just discovered to hobs that use digital touch controls as opposed to turning a knob and that is that the number of steps is usually only 9 and sod's law says that the setting you really want is part way between them. A no-brainer with a knob but with digital controls you're stuffed.

Of course, digital controls and a smooth control surface means that you don't have to suffer the delights of cleaning out all that food crud that lurks underneath the knobs :lol:

Roger Sinden":3uzfwe0y said:
Of course, digital controls and a smooth control surface means that you don't have to suffer the delights of cleaning out all that food crud that lurks underneath the knobs :lol:

We have a knob-free, clear surface on our hob and wouldn't go back to one with knobs :D

On the knobs, Roger, many of them have click-stops so you can't always set the in-between settings :wink:

Cheers

Paul

Back