(kind of) first project working with hardwoods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have finally got around to start working with some hardwoods for a couple simple projects so the first steps will be to flatten the boards to make them joinable.

Ive bought some boards that were PAR'ed from a stock so some boards aren't entirely flat.

Would the only way to process this into flat usable boards, after being chopped up, be to use a thickness panner (which I don't have yet) but will have to buy if that's the case?

IMG_3099.JPG
IMG_3098.JPG
IMG_3101.JPG

You need to use jointer and thickness planer. Thickness planer only will not make the board flat. It will make it only uniform in thickness.

The common procedure is to make reference face and edge flat on the jointer, then thickness the board on the thickness planer and then cut off the opposite edge on the table saw. Or you can do all of these with hand tools, but there is more learning and skill involved to get it right (and it is slower, too)

As I don't have a jointer and don't want to buy a cheap one I will use my table saw to make a clean cut with a jointer jig for now. But it seems as though I probably get away without having a thicknesses, unless I want to do everything by hand, which I don't :)

So for boards with a little bit of a bending/skewing in places is the first would the most approved way to do it be to run it though a thickness planner with a flat bit of HDF under while its wedged to transfer that flatness across?

the first thing is to assign your boards to where they will be on your project. certain things need to be flat other things don't.(also the length really determines how out of flat something is)

If it's any consolation I made a few things from pine which turned out ok they've made it inside the house!
So I thought I would try oak! It was like trying to unicycle having learned to ride a bike! Another skill level!! Kudos for making the jump!!

Its not to hard to flatten and thickness a board with a good hand plane, but before you start look at what length pieces you need. Im guessing from your photo that the piece is around 1200mm long and about 4mm out of flat. If you only need pieces 600mm then when you cut it in half you will only be about 1.5mm out of flat. For hand planing I would always plane the convex side first so you are just planing of the middle (opposite of what you do on a planer thicknesser. Once you have 1 flat side use a marking gauge set at the minimum thickness of the board to mark all round from the flat surface

Yes, looking forward to it thanks. I’m just starting with cutting shelves from some rough PAR wood, so pretty simple. Got some more of the same wood I need to join together to make a 600mm deep shelf, so I feel il need get these all flat and straight to join.

Then lastly I have some mango to make a minimalist shoe rack, and some mahogany to make a small under tab box shelf, maybe with a little sliding door.

I think there some simple enough projects but a good start when working with hardwoods for first time too hopefully.

I don’t have many good hand tools but after I buy this thicknesser I think I might stop with machinery and start building that collection up.

I hear you about the board length changing how much il be out. I’ll cut the pieces and reassess. And then I can use this method if need be -

On another note it seems like the DeWalt 733 thickness is the way to go, or the Makita of the same level and then the metabo dh330 for something cheaper, but maybe equally as good? Any comments on these machines?

Have a look on YouTube for a router sled , this may help you create the initial flat side then flip it over and bring to thickness

Made mine using a work top off cut and Ali rails from an old shower checked for flatness and twist using x2 level clamped down

I used a 17mm cutter ( longest I had ) and a work top jig which the router ran in the groove , board and slot will be fine

Assuming you have a router of course 😜

Edit
But deffo look to get a planer thicknesser used or new they are great , eBay , FB market place or from the for sale section seen them from £200-400ish I bought mine from here last year

Last edited:
Definitely going to make a router sled for some thicker live edge slabs in the near future. I thought about making it from something like this - Help me decide on this product: VEVOR Linear Bearings Linear Rail Guide 2X SBR16-1000mm Linear Slide Rail + 4 SBR16UU Block for Automated Machines and Equipments VEVOR Linear Bearings Linear Rail Guide 2X SBR16-1000mm Linear Slide Rail + 4 SBR16UU Block for Automated Machines and Equipments : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science - or just one out of wood.

Most of the planks I have now are 25mm so might be a bit over kill for that.

On another note it seems like the DeWalt 733 thickness is the way to go, or the Makita of the same level and then the metabo dh330 for something cheaper, but maybe equally as good? Any comments on these machines?
Irrespective of which machine you choose, whether you need one is another matter, you really must factor in chip & dust extraction as well, otherwise you'll get buried and it will probably spoil your timber finish without one.

Simple sled from ply works for me. I have a couple at different sizes. Whatever you use, your work surface needs to be flat and workpiece wedged flat and stuck down to get the right result.

IMG_1866.jpg

Irrespective of which machine you choose, whether you need one is another matter, you really must factor in chip & dust extraction as well, otherwise you'll get buried and it will probably spoil your timber finish without one.
This is where my sled falls down! I won't deny it makes a hell of a mess. I acceptI have a big clean the next morning, so time my flattening with this in mind. I keep a pretty clean shop so once a month I hoover everything.

Definitely going to make a router sled for some thicker live edge slabs in the near future. I thought about making it from something like this - Help me decide on this product: VEVOR Linear Bearings Linear Rail Guide 2X SBR16-1000mm Linear Slide Rail + 4 SBR16UU Block for Automated Machines and Equipments VEVOR Linear Bearings Linear Rail Guide 2X SBR16-1000mm Linear Slide Rail + 4 SBR16UU Block for Automated Machines and Equipments : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science - or just one out of wood.

This is what I may do in the future so x2 of the rail kits , but use what you can

Attachments

• 438D89E6-DAB5-40D9-A3B9-C32E555433B7.png
    438D89E6-DAB5-40D9-A3B9-C32E555433B7.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
This popped up on FB ( think someone is watching me)
Router sled with a CNC brush /boot and x2 extraction ports for flex hose , quite like that idea for dust extraction

Attachments

• F906BEB9-758A-465D-B3D8-45D05A90B949.png
    F906BEB9-758A-465D-B3D8-45D05A90B949.png
    6 MB · Views: 0
azk404, I'll put my neck on the block and say forget the noisy motor thicknesser and making a sled. Do the job correctly and buy a decent small second hand planer thicknesser. You can get something very serviceable for £400 and will not regret it.

Colin

azk404, I'll put my neck on the block and say forget the noisy motor thicknesser and making a sled. Do the job correctly and buy a decent small second hand planer thicknesser. You can get something very serviceable for £400 and will not regret it.

Colin
Agreed. For jointing and planing material. But for slabs and panels, a sled is great way to achieve a flat surface. My PT is 300mm wide so anything over that, the sled comes out.
This popped up on FB ( think someone is watching me)
Router sled with a CNC brush /boot and x2 extraction ports for flex hose , quite like that idea for dust extraction
I like this setup. Will have to look into something similar.

Not somewhere I have been to personally but have read about people using Men's sheds which appear to be all over the country so if you don't have your own equipment yet might be something worth looking into. You will probably get help & advice from more experienced members as well.

Hi, AZK404.
I made something like this using chinese linear bearings from THYH company. It has been satisfactory for my needs. Some pictures are attached.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG