Khan's ULEZ scam >road charging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spread over the life of a wind turbine of ~20 years is 25kg per mw per annum.

Life of nuclear is up to ~40 years so ~20kg per annum.

Not a lot to chose between them and it really is incidental trivia compared to the energy big picture.

A litre of oil has ~10kwh of energy. A 100 litres per hour is required to produce a megawatt hour. There are 8760 hours in a year. So an oil fired generator (excluding efficiency losses etc) will need 876,000 litres of oil per annum.

About 7000 tonnes. Puts consumption of copper into perspective. Please ;et me know if my sums are materially wrong!!
700 tonnes otherwise your maths is on the money, still orders of magnitude more in mass.

I work with an angry man from down the pub, he's a riot and easy to send stratospheric..........Very funny on a Friday afternoon when it's quiet.
I know a pub where if you said in a loud voice something like "Cyclist Corbyn Brexit boat people" it'd be like lobbing in a grenade! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Where i drank , back when i was in the UK.The landlord used to ask me or one of the other "large" regulars to throw people out for him who got too "angry-loud" , we regulars liked our' drinks quiet and friendly. There was always a "regular on the large side" somewhere in the pub. :cool:

I know a pub where if you said in a loud voice something like "Cyclist Corbyn Brexit boat people" it'd be like lobbing in a grenade! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
So, how often do you go there and say something like, "I think Jeremy Corbyn was/is hugely misunderstood, I'm a LEJOG cyclist despite the overabundance of cars and lorries on the roads, I wish I hadn't voted against Brexit, and I'm hoping to organise some local housing or caravans for a few of those poor boat people near us in the Dales," just to stir the pot a little whilst buying yourself your fist pint of Double Helix Snake Spit, some on the premises made hair on spicy pork scratchings, plus a bag of dry roasted peanuts for your partner with the more refined taste buds? Slainte.

So, how often do you go there and say something like, "I think Jeremy Corbyn was/is hugely misunderstood, I'm a LEJOG cyclist despite the overabundance of cars and lorries on the roads, I wish I hadn't voted against Brexit, and I'm hoping to organise some local housing or caravans for a few of those poor boat people near us in the Dales," just to stir the pot a little whilst buying yourself your fist pint of Double Helix Snake Spit, some on the premises made hair on spicy pork scratchings, plus a bag of dry roasted peanuts for your partner with the more refined taste buds? Slainte.
A bit incoherent this Richard! I think you have missed the point.

I keep asking this. No answer so far.
Can't help visualising Saddiq Khan pedalling off down an empty cycle lane at speed, with carrier bags full of cash. :ROFLMAO:

In simple terms, it is regarded as a scam by a huge number of people because it is being pushed as saving us from ourselves by providing cleaner air. It will have no meaningful effect on health in outer London but it will put in place infrastructure for road charging. We did not ask for this, we don’t want this we didn’t vote for Khan.

In simple terms, it is regarded as a scam by a huge number of people because it is being pushed as saving us from ourselves by providing cleaner air. It will have no meaningful effect on health in outer London but it will put in place infrastructure for road charging. We did not ask for this, we don’t want this we didn’t vote for Khan.
You could just not go to London..
Like I don't go to Paris* ( whose mayor / maire is Anne Hidalgo, who has a similar scheme ) and who I as a non Parisian ( and proud of it ) didn't get to vote for.
Are you a Londoner ? do you get to vote for the mayor in London ?

* I don't go there because it is full of Parisians, except this time of year when many of them are here where I live :(

Whilst I am an advocate for change to a sustainable world I can understand how it can be seen as a scam. If you work in London and want to travel by car then you have 3 choices; buy a different vehicle, pay the charge or find a job somewhere else. A lot of people won't be able to move jobs or afford to buy a different vehicle, so they are stuck paying the charge. Rich people already have new cars or don't care if they have to pay.

The only way for things like this to truly work is to ensure there is a suitable alternatives, park and rides/trams/trains/cycle ways/scooters etc

I don't know enough about what has been put in place in London as an alternative

If the money collected isn't going to solve these issues then it could be seen as a scam. I don't know where the money goes though?

Personally I dislike cities and do my best to avoid anyway and as per my previous posts I don't think changing to the current offering of EVs is the answer.

The definition of "scam" includes terms such as illegal, sneaky, dishonest, fraudulent, deceptive.

Often used in connection with enabling the flow of money from the "scammed" to the "scammer".

This does not apply to ULEZ. It is clear what the criteria are for a charge to be payable, initiated by a democratically elected mayor, and as far as I am aware the revenue raised will benefit the community.

That one may disagree with the justification used for the scheme, or the criteria applied, does not make it a scam but a matter of opinion. As a democracy it would be entirely possible to vote for an administration (if one exists) committed to its repeal.

Personally I am happy to be a very occasional visitor to London, not a resident - this has much to do with the nature of city living, not motoring surcharges!

.... it will put in place infrastructure for road charging. ....
We already road charging, via general taxation. ULEZ is about clean air and congestion
.....we didn’t vote for Khan.
Yes you did. Well a majority of you did. It's called democracy - it's the latest thing amongst the woke!

Last edited:
In my opinion it's amazing to be told that road charging is the solution to having clean air.
At the weekend I was stuck in traffic on the M25 as I often do in the area between the M3 Heathrow airport and the M4 watching all the aircraft taking off that nobody seems to think are a problem.

You could just not go to London..
Like I don't go to Paris* ( whose mayor / maire is Anne Hidalgo, who has a similar scheme ) and who I as a non Parisian ( and proud of it ) didn't get to vote for.
Are you a Londoner ? do you get to vote for the mayor in London ?

* I don't go there because it is full of Parisians, except this time of year when many of them are here where I live :(
In answer born in London (Lewisham) moved to what at the time was Kent (Sidcup) in the early 60’s. GLC created mid 60’s it became the London Borough of Bexley in 1966. We get to vote we we consistently vote Tory a does most of “Outer London”

Yes you did. Well a majority of you did. It's called democracy - it's the latest thing amongst the woke!
No Jacob, inner London the densely populated bit with all the infrastructure did. I’d happily vote for Lexit though I don’t know what Sadiq is doing for the additional charges on my council tax bill that benefits me perhaps I need to use my Irish citizenship and go to live with MW

In answer born in London (Lewisham) moved to what at the time was Kent (Sidcup) in the early 60’s. GLC created mid 60’s it became the London Borough of Bexley in 1966. We get to vote we we consistently vote Tory a does most of “Outer London”
Still..do you get to vote for London's mayor ? . If the answer is yes ? but you don't vote for Labour and Kahn is Labour ( I presume ) then if more Londoners voted for him than voted for "the Tory candidate..Just means you lost..Democracy.
You can't say well "I didn't vote for X" even if the majority of voters did, "so X isn't legit".
Back in the 70s when I lived in London ..there was inside the "circular"..and outside...and then "city".
I lived in Tottenham, Crouch End, Bounds Green ( Ally Pally ) , Wood Green, Hampstead and Brixton.
Loved Crouch End and Brixton. used to walk all over London at night..favourite city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back