Khan's ULEZ scam >road charging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a bit more searching and found this Estimated quantities of materials contained in a 1000-MW(e) PWR power plant (Technical Report) | OSTI.GOV which evaluates a 1000mw PWR (pressurised water reactor) nuclear power station.

Page 9 has a list of values for various metals.

For a 1000mw it requires 694 tons of copper (there is also brass and bronze listed separately but I haven't included in the following maths)

Hopefully my maths is correct as I am terrible at it.

So per MW a PWR requires - 694/1000 = 0.694 tons per MW

A 3MW wind turbine requires - 4.7/3 = 1.56 tons per mw

so per MW wind turbines require just over half as much as a conventional nuclear power station.

If you look at the list of metals for a PWR you'll also see things like 2080 tons of stainless steel which requires nickel and chromium, 46tons of lead, 18tons of aluminium, 10 tons of Brass, 25 tons of Bronze.

The difference between the 2 being that with wind you need no additional energy/material input once it's created other than maintenance. When it is decommissioned you can re-use the copper. I would guess a smaller amount can be recycled out of a nuclear plant as it will be contaminated or too risky to remove.
Mostly common and recyclable materials i.e. "sustainable" so it's not a big issue.

a bigger scam from Kahn is the congestion change on a Sunday, was in the London in my old but ulez compliant car but had to pay the congestion charge to go into the Barbican, when it ends at 18.00 the traffic jams start. Came out to head home about 22.30 into jams in the area

Last edited:
a bigger scam form Kahn is the congestion change on a Sunday, was in the London in my old but ulez compliant car but had to pay the congestion charge to go into the Barbican, when it ends at 18.00 the traffic jams start. Came out to head home about 22.30 into jams in the area
Why is that a "scam"? I don't get it.

Why is that a "scam"? I don't get it.
Why would you? as you reside well away from London. He has no mandate for extension or pay per mile plus all the other shenanigans Him/TFL get up to along with their Labour type Fruits along with LTN's. Which are costing lives now as FB and AMBO/Plod are up in arms over as can't get to places plus there becoming drug havens as dealers can cycle there deal and get away.

Hes only interested in publicity always turns up if cameras are around and vanishes moment there gone or anyone asks him a question he don't like.
Always trying to front his book.
Was funny at one place he turned up to lording himself around like he does and someone said your only here because of Cameras are here! He went loco and sulked off!.
You don't see/hear what half goes on in London but best you keep twitching the curtains as will about all you can do/afford soon as coming to you in a while if he gets this all through and what gleaned from my contacts? So Chin up butter cup(Gonna need it)

a bigger scam form Kahn is the congestion change on a Sunday, was in the London in my old but ulez compliant car but had to pay the congestion charge to go into the Barbican, when it ends at 18.00 the traffic jams start. Came out to head home about 22.30 into jams in the area
They shut Blackwall tunnel both sides. A13 and A12 was blocked up with road works and fire in west end of Limehouse link road plus fire Bethnal Green road which shut everything down as every road around it is closed now so no buses either on many routes

Why would you? as you reside well away from London
Not that far away and anyway all these issues crop up all over the place to a greater or lesser extent
. He has no mandate
Yes he has - he is the democratically elected mayor which gives hime the mandate and obligation to do what he thinks is better for the people, even if they don't understand it!
f........ AMBO/Plod are up in arms over as can't get to places plus there becoming drug havens as dealers can cycle there deal and get away.
Daftest argument I've heard! :ROFLMAO: If it was true, which it isn't, then the plod would just have to get on their bikes and join in! No problem.
Hes only interested in publicity always turns up if cameras are around and vanishes moment there gone
How would you know this if there were no cameras? :unsure:

You still haven't explained why you think it's a scam. If it was a scam then who gets the benefit?

Not that far away and anyway all these issues crop up all over the place to a greater or lesser extent

Yes he has - he is the democratically elected mayor which gives hime the mandate and obligation to do what he thinks is better for the people, even if they don't understand it!

Daftest argument I've heard! :ROFLMAO: If it was true, which it isn't, then the plod would just have to get on their bikes and join in! No problem.

You still haven't explained why you think it's a scam. If it was a scam then who gets the benefit?
Pointless communicating with you mind trouble when you get left on your own at your age you lack learning capacity and a one track mind! Your own.

Putting a patient on a bike?
Taking armed officers to a shooting on bikes great! Knock them off take the guns!!
Good luck with that!!

Putting a patient on a bike?
yes terrible innit! Even worse if they are up in a block of flats - getting the bike all that way up and back down with a patient on it, especially if the lift's broken. o_O
Maybe every household in Britain should have front door directly accessible to all emergency services? Would take a bit of organising - all those flats would have to go for starters.
Taking armed officers to a shooting on bikes great! Knock them off take the guns!!
They could have tandems with rear gunners? Obvious really. :unsure:

Did a bit more searching and found this Estimated quantities of materials contained in a 1000-MW(e) PWR power plant (Technical Report) | OSTI.GOV which evaluates a 1000mw PWR (pressurised water reactor) nuclear power station.

Page 9 has a list of values for various metals.

For a 1000mw it requires 694 tons of copper (there is also brass and bronze listed separately but I haven't included in the following maths)

Hopefully my maths is correct as I am terrible at it.

So per MW a PWR requires - 694/1000 = 0.694 tons per MW

so per MW wind turbines require just over half as much as a conventional nuclear power station.

If you look at the list of metals for a PWR you'll also see things like 2080 tons of stainless steel which requires nickel and chromium, 46tons of lead, 18tons of aluminium, 10 tons of Brass, 25 tons of Bronze.

The difference between the 2 being that with wind you need no additional energy/material input once it's created other than maintenance. When it is decommissioned you can re-use the copper. I would guess a smaller amount can be recycled out of a nuclear plant as it will be contaminated or too risky to remove.
"So per MW a PWR requires - 694/1000 = 0.694 tons per MW

so per MW wind turbines require just over half as much as a conventional nuclear power station."

I think it's the other way round....????

To be fair, you did cast aspersions on your mathematical abilities:giggle:

Spread over the life of a wind turbine of ~20 years is 25kg per mw per annum.

Life of nuclear is up to ~40 years so ~20kg per annum.

Not a lot to chose between them and it really is incidental trivia compared to the energy big picture.

A litre of oil has ~10kwh of energy. A 100 litres per hour is required to produce a megawatt hour. There are 8760 hours in a year. So an oil fired generator (excluding efficiency losses etc) will need 876,000 litres of oil per annum.

About 7000 tonnes. Puts consumption of copper into perspective. Please ;et me know if my sums are materially wrong!!

the weekend was free he added the weekend to make more money out of it
Make more money for whom?
Maybe he added the weekend to make the weekend less congested?
Also reducing traffic at whatever time of day or night will also reduce air pollution - spreading into the following week depending on wind direction/speed.
Air quality gets worse when there's an anticyclone, slow air changes and temperature inversions. Do they adjust ULEZ accordingly?
Sounds like he's doing you Londoners a favour and looking after things quite well!
Just because you don't understand anything doesn't mean it's a scam!

Last edited:
I'm very happy about it and I wish that he would double the price and use the extra revenue on something worthwhile like proper, joined up and segregated cycling infrastructure.
As a country dweller I would also support higher costs for fuel if they converted all the old train lines to cycle ways. They are doing a few in our area but it is largely driven by the public rather than government

As a country dweller I would also support higher costs for fuel if they converted all the old train lines to cycle ways. They are doing a few in our area but it is largely driven by the public rather than government
We've got some brilliant ones here, driven by the Peak Park and very popular - in fact getting congested on a sunny weekend especially the Monsal Trail. No loss of air quality however!
https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/cycle/cycle-routes/easygoingslider

We've got some brilliant ones here, driven by the Peak Park and very popular - in fact getting congested on a sunny weekend especially the Monsal Trail. No loss of air quality however!
https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/cycle/cycle-routes/easygoingslider
They make perfect cycling infrastructure. They go between places people want to go, local towns and villages, and they are pretty flat. Shame a lot of them have been built on or become private land. I can do a hundred mile loop from my house with only about 30 miles of it on roads and those all quiet roads. While I can cycle to Bath and enjoy the route through the tunnels or along the canal. There is a crippling gap where the train line is privately owned which requires a detour up and down two massive hills. Really spoils the experience and would probably stop families in their tracks. They are just connecting Frome, Shepton Mallet and Wells along the old S&D line which I used to walk as a kid when it was closed. That will be a great addition once it’s opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back