Keruing Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obi Wan Kenobi

Established Member
Reaction score
"From a long time ago in a galaxy far, far aw
I have found a place locally that recycles timber and it always has an abundance of Keruing offcuts, which I believe they get from a coach/caravan builder.

I have read up on this stuff and there are some that say it's good for garden furniture and some that question using it for that. The common issues seem to be that it can be hard on tools, is very resinous, and is difficult to apply a finish to.

I'd like to know if it's worth using Keruing to build garden furniture, and if it is, what would be the best finish to use on it?

Obi Wan :eek:ccasion5:

As with many things this is going to come down to an individual call on your part at the end of the day. I would take the bit about it being hard on tools with a pinch of salt though. Keruing is a number of related species so the silica levels are going to vary, but at its worst it's no teak. Since you can get a lot of offcuts try a little of it out on something small like a planter and see how you get on?

I don't imagine there a best finish for this as there's practically never one answer to that sort of question. It always depends on how you want something to look for starters, and then what kind of maintenance schedule you'd be happy with, from nothing but a quick hose down in the spring to sanding and revarnishing every couple of years at two ends of the spectrum.

If you have some teak oil already that's one definite possibility, and equally you could leave the wood bare and let it weather to silvery grey.

When I were a lad it was my Dad's first port of call for commemorative benches for the local churches. I've no idea why it would be any harder on tools than any any other derivative of Dipterocarpus (I did have to Google that 'cos I'd forgotten).

In fact, I think the first window frame I made on my own was in Keruing .

My mates dad worked at boalloy who made trailers he used to burn tons of this all like a halflap edge joint.

Chip Shop - I suppose everyone's knowledge and woodworking skill level is different and that's why the opinions of it are so different. I'll just go with the flow and see what happens #-o

Johnnyb - I imagine there must be an abundance of this stuff cos the recyclers have a ton of it which never seems to reduce, unless no one wants it!

OWK :eek:ccasion5:

johnnyb":3enyt0n0 said:
My mates dad worked at boalloy who made trailers he used to burn tons of this all like a halflap edge joint.
Yeah the only piece of it I have has that edge and it's sold here as trailer-lining material so presumably that's where it came from (got it in a mixed bag of scraps someone wanted rid of).

Obi Wan Kenobi":2j8vwy08 said:
Chip Shop - I suppose everyone's knowledge and woodworking skill level is different and that's why the opinions of it are so different.
Yes that's true of a lot of different areas. If you get a core of people who have only made stuff from common softwoods and domestic hardwoods many other woods, while not dreadfully challenging in the grand scheme of things, can prove an unpleasant surprise.

Here it would be that the wood is harder and more blunting, and they might not realise initially that they need to re-hone with greater frequency. With some of the mahogany stand-ins that are otherwise lovely to work, the first time they encounter ribbon stripe it can be a hair-pulling experience trying to plane it without tearout.

I have used quite a bit of keruing over the years, used to be used for lorry decking a lot. It has a lot of sticky resin in it which tends to weep in little balls in the sun, Not ideal if you sit on it. And splinters are common & they always seem to go septic.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across as a know it all. I just remember my Dad using it and thought I'd mention it...seemed be decent timber.

Chip shop":22urstpg said:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across as a know it all. I just remember my Dad using it and thought I'd mention it...seemed be decent timber.
You didn't come across like that whatsoever Mr Chipshop, you're being too humble for your own good!
I am grateful for the knowledge, and I enjoyed the wee story you recalled aswell,
for these stories are the very basis of why many of us start this craft up in the first place
Thanks
Tom

Chip shop":2yywyh3m said:

No idea why you should think that Chip shop, and I hope that my reply to you never gave that impression, because if it did, I apologise. I'm always grateful for any and every reply I receive :wink:

OWK :eek:ccasion5:

Latest posts

Back