Kenyon Large Tenon: Freakishly Huge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob,

I love the glass in that door,
don't get me wrong I like the door, but that glass ...
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
It's like an aquarium full of fish eyes looking out.

Jasper

Jacob,

The door is magnificent but you do mention a deliberate mistake which is very intriguing.

My only two thoughts are,

Lack of haunches, or do they not show well in the photo?

Or, is the tennon on the rail below the glass a little slim which might cause twist on glue up?

Neither of these are criticism, just pursuit of your puzzle.

David

No the haunches are there but don't show up too well - they are all 1/2" to match the slot for the panels.
You spotted it - the frieze rail, I machined a slot by mistake and took 1/2" off the tenons. #-o I dropped a piece in the slot which you can see where the tenons stick out in the 1st snap. It wouldn't have caused twist though as it had haunches too.
I don't like to make tenons too big in case they shrink and loosen. Say 3 and half inch max.
Glad you like the door.

cheers
Jacob

Jacob,

Thank you. Will be able to stop thinking about that now....

I always tell my students, there are two kinds of mistakes, retreivable and non retreivable!

It is still a fine door!

best wishes,
David

Mr_Grimsdale":1xrhgpmj said:
hazewood":1xrhgpmj said:
snip.
Jacob, nice door and nice tenon on the bottom rail too, that is if the picture isn't telling fibs.
Hazewood
Er - what? Have you spotted something I've missed?
That little bit of wood on the left under the door is a planing stop nailed to the top of the bench if thats what you mean.

Picture was fibbing Jacob, just trying to solve your "spot the difference" question.

The finished job door looks as if it was always hanging from there!

Latest posts

Back