Keeping the shop toasty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OllyK

Established Member
Reaction score
So how do people keep their shop warm and toasty on these cold winter evenings?

I have a couple of 2Kw fan heaters which work OK in the workshop attached to the garage but if I'm in the main part of the garage doing some assembly etc which is too large for the w/s then they struggle. Add to that the smell and potential fire risk when they get full of dust :eek:

I also picked up a 4Kw calor heater on Freecycle, which would be fine but it won't turn off and requires the regulator disconnecting from the bottle which I'm a bit iffy about! Also it's a bit on the large size.

I'm currently pondering on some of those quartz / IR patio heater light affairs as they can be ceiling mounted and work on a radiation basis rather than convection so should warm things up quickly.

So how do you keep warm (appart from hard work :D )

I use a small oil filler radiator and find it's sufficient in 1 car garage. I do keep it on all the time so I don't have to wait for it to warm the room up.

OllyK":ywbul9i3 said:
I'm currently pondering on some of those quartz / IR patio heater light affairs as they can be ceiling mounted and work on a radiation basis rather than convection so should warm things up quickly.

I bought 4 of them in B & Q for £20.00 each instead of £78 each, they even have 2 Halogen lights and a remote.

They work really well, keeps the body warm more than the airspace.

CNC Paul":244iox8q said:
OllyK":244iox8q said:

I bought 4 of them in B & Q for £20.00 each instead of £78 each, they even have 2 Halogen lights and a remote.

They work really well, keeps the body warm more than the airspace.

I see a trip to B&Q coming on! :D

Sofar this year I haven't had to use anything, I do have an oil filled heater, but so far this year the temp in the WS has not gone below 8 degress.

I agree with Mike wood burner is top of the list ......Toasted tea cakes in the afternoon :)

Alas the landlord will not allow it in my new workshop :(

Hello all you warm woodworkers, I also use a 2kw oil filled radiator, two sun heaters, and many many layers of clothing, and on some days I manage to get the temp almost up to 8 or 9 degrees!!!!
and yes I have already insulated the roof, the up and over garage door ( its just got to go ),etc Some days my bits don't freeze and fall off,,,,,
GT

Lord Nibbo":q832nlm3 said:
Waka":q832nlm3 said:
So far this year the temp in the WS has not gone below 8 degress.

Now that is decidedly cold for me, you need to move nearer to Cornwall :lol:

Think I'll stay in Dorset LN, nice and cosy here, today we had a WS high of 10 degrees, nearly started sweating.

Back