Kayleighs lap joint / crossed halving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J D Architectural Joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my youngest daughters 1st lap joint. I made one along side her, so the only help she had was watching me do mine. she even planed the edges with a small block plane. She is classed with learning difficulties. She is ten with an academic age of 6 or 7
I was well impressed. the next day I had her making the windows whilst I sat in the office drinking my coffee. (well a little fore vision is nice to have) :lol:
No but the following day she mad her mum a beech box consisting of 4 lap joints again all done by hand tools.
workshopmorrison002.jpg

Brilliant i wish i had been that good at ten
well done Kayleigh
dennis

Well done Kayleigh, that's better than I could do!

DaveL":qcio33ra said:
Well done Kayleigh, :D David best start saving, she will need her own tools soon. 8)

I don't need that as an excuse to buy more , but it does help. I have 3 daughters, plus Jakki my wife needs her own, cause she can't borrow mine, but she can store them at the workshop. :lol:

Every reason to be proud David and thanks for posting the pictures.
It is my daughter, not my son who seems to have a gift as far as hand tools are concerned. No reason why that shouldn't be of course.
Jon.

My eldest (15) still works with me when she can, From machining things up to drywalling. Her only problem is I forget how old she is, and I know that she can do it, so loose my rag when she doesn't do it. Some days I still have to spell it out to her, but for 15, I would have her working for me full time if she wasn'y going to Uni with the RAF
The middle one well she says she would like too, but shes a real girly girl, and once sown the workshop, its, I'm cold. I'm this, Can we that, But its probably her age aswell, the dreaded 13 stage, but the youngest has real lust for it. She just wants to do what dad does. Which I hope I can not screw up as by the looks of things, she will be with us for quite a while, before theres any chance of her fending for herself in the big bad world.

My eldest, out on site
QServeFence2.jpg

She helped with this also, doing all the tenoning, the thicknessing, putting them through the spindle moulder, whilst all I did was all the mortise holes.
ASNSchoolPerth2.jpg

Hmm goning to have to get my little monsters out helping tomorrow then !!

TBH I was the world worst dad when I was building my shed, had my eldest (8) helping me by passing nails, it was freezing and throwing it down, poor little chap couldn't feel his fingers by the time we finished :oops: Didn't complain once though.

Si

Back