Karl Holteys Blog

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought someone had already posted on this, but when I searched I couldn't find it, so apologies if this is duplication.

Karl Holtey has started a blog on his site and the content is fascinating.

http://www.holteyplanes.com/blog/

I find the engineering and levels of precision going into the product incredible. I feel fairly sure I'll never own a Holtey, but to understand how he does it is a reasonable alternative.

Cheers, Ed

thanks for posting this. Whilst flipping through the Pics it reminded me of Ian Dalziel who's site seems to have gone. Anyone know what happened there?

wizer":2hfep5mu said:
thanks for posting this. Whilst flipping through the Pics it reminded me of Ian Dalziel who's site seems to have gone. Anyone know what happened there?

That's a shame his sites gone, hope he's OK. very talented bloke.

I "spoke" to Ian Dalziel the other week - he has some serious health issues at the moment and will be having a low profile for some months to come.
Here's wishing him a speedy recovery.
Philly :D

One thing I don't understand is why he cuts the pins in SS with one pass? What possible advantage could that have, given that he's breaking so many cutters doing it

Aidan

TheTiddles":4ge5ly6m said:
One thing I don't understand is why he cuts the pins in SS with one pass? What possible advantage could that have, given that he's breaking so many cutters doing it

Aidan

Aiden

Not an unusual question, but if I go in 3mm at a time instead of 6mm in one go then that means I have to make 2 passes cutting with the same section of the tool and it will half the life of the tool. Also there is the time element of making two passes instead of one. This seems to work quite well as long as I am getting plenty of coolant in there.

Karl Holtey

Why don't you use a large tool for the process? It looks like quite a small tool, and you could go up to a diameter just below the gap between the pins. My own milling experience suggests that a thinner tool is more likely to deflect and result in conical sides. Probably not a problem for you as you are then performing a fine finishing cut.

Any details on the configuration of the 983? I am pondering the purchase of a 982, but wonder if I'd be better waiting for the next new mousetrap.

I'd say just the same thing as Paul, always use the biggest cutter you can with the shortest cutting length, rough to a diameter of 6.1 then go in to 6.0 with tolerance. That said, I work in a different area where we have the luxury of choice in cutters, on the turnover and margins you must be on it can't be an option to have custom made cutters, the coolant supply looked a little mean too, but you don't have spray cabinets on either! I saw a cool machine recently, almost 30' high working in 6 axes on a block of steel weighing 5 tons with a 0.12mm diameter cutter!

Another question... I love the use of round pins over dovetails, not quite as much as I love metal bodies planes, but I digress... why not use soft dowel pins bonded into the sole so the grain is perpendicular to the joint and therefore stronger? Or would that not blend into the sides material when flattened off?

I saw you at West Dean and your tools look even better in the flesh than on the website, looks like the kind of thing I'd make one day, massively over the top for the intended task such that it becomes the task itself

Aidan

PaulO":fw6kons3 said:
Why don't you use a large tool for the process? It looks like quite a small tool, and you could go up to a diameter just below the gap between the pins. My own milling experience suggests that a thinner tool is more likely to deflect and result in conical sides. Probably not a problem for you as you are then performing a fine finishing cut.

Any details on the configuration of the 983? I am pondering the purchase of a 982, but wonder if I'd be better waiting for the next new mousetrap.

Hi Paul

I use the 6mm cutter as it is the biggest cutter that will fit between the pins, although I made a 14 1/2" No 98 and I was able to space the pins a bit more and use an 8mm cutter. But the tool life was still the same. Any deformation is corrected with the finishing cut.

No 983? I think you are ahead of me! But I will keep you posted. I have no plans for trumping the No 982, but if there is a No 983 it will be a different type of plane.

k

Back