Just setting up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mistert

Reaction score
Hi, found this great forum which I'm sure will be really helpful as I am setting myself up to spend time woodworking in my (early) retirement. I've been buying tools for the last 2 years, looking for bargains and using ebay a lot, the plan being I would have the tools I need whilst I have the money :) . My main buys have been the Triton work centre and attachments ( I think I have the whole set now) including the 235mm saw and TRB001 router, Also recently bought the smaller Metabo bandsaw. As the time draws nearer I'm contemplating if I should buy anything else, thoughts are, planer/thicknesses, decent dust collector, small lathe. Appreciate any suggestions on the useful tools and accessories that I may need to fulfil my 'new' hobby. also good places to buy the wood for my projects, south Herts area.
Many Thanks

I would definitely get a lathe (but then I'm addicted to it). But sounds like your almost there, i would say a good set of measuring and marking out tools and a good no.4 plane and set of chisels and your away. As regards to planer/thicknesser i wouldnt be without mine now. It depends whether you buying prepared stock or ripping you own or recycling timber, which may need the planer. I personally think there usefull either way buy are not cheap for a half decent one. If it were down to cash and i had to have one id get a thickneser and a good no.4 smoothing plane.

I think you'll find as most do, you'll NEED a tool for a particular job and get the extra bits as the need arises.

SimonT":ulff6hme said:
I would definitely get a lathe (but then I'm addicted to it). But sounds like your almost there, i would say a good set of measuring and marking out tools and a good no.4 plane and set of chisels and your away. As regards to planer/thicknesser i wouldnt be without mine now. It depends whether you buying prepared stock or ripping you own or recycling timber, which may need the planer. I personally think there usefull either way buy are not cheap for a half decent one. If it were down to cash and i had to have one id get a thickneser and a good no.4 smoothing plane.

I think you'll find as most do, you'll NEED a tool for a particular job and get the extra bits as the need arises.

Thanks SimonT. A friend has a lathe he no longer wants so I'll definitely pursue that. Looking at a second hand planer thicknesses but as you say not cheap. Will keep my eyes peeled in the 'for sale' section, though looks like you need to be quick. The plane was not something I really considered, but will add to wish list. Many thanks for such a rapid response, Paul

SimonT":27o6g6fv said:
Look forward to seeing some WIP / projects on the future

For sure, bandsaw mount and cupboard, some jigs and a cat tree ( to keep wife and cats happy) are on my list

Look forward to your posts, I started with the full triton 2000 work centre in 2002 and have enjoyed my woodworking in retirement, although these days I don't get up until the Spring starts.
You can see some of my projects at the avatar flashing away on this page.

Ternex are a sawmill close to welwyn, their yard is on the edge of the brocket hall estate. google ternex for details

Hi
There will come a time when you actually need to use some hand tools! Like Simon T. I would suggest some marking and measuring tools (engineers square, good marking knife, steel rule 300mm to 1000mm and a vernier may come in useful), a set of chisels (Narex from Workshop Heaven are good and not too pricey) and a hand plane, Unlike Simon I would suggest a no.5 or 5 1/2 if you only have one. You never know you might get into hand tools, but that's a slippery slope.

Enjoy your woodwork.
Chris

d c":10dnv6jc said:
Ternex are a sawmill close to welwyn, their yard is on the edge of the brocket hall estate. google ternex for details

Just looked them up and they are literally 5 mins from where I work. Will be making good use of my lunch breaks :) Many Thanks for that, Paul

I actually have a 5 1/2 too, very rarely do i pick it up as i tend to prefer my no.4 i suppose its a preference of the user but what i will say is if you get one plane you'll buy more!!!! I think once youve used a nice well sharpened plane your hooked.

If you are looking for a planer thicknesser - search the buying advice forums and then have a look on ebay - I was lucky enough to buy mine through here, but the same model (a dewalt dw1150 - a real workhorse that prolly thinks it's been put to pasture during my ownership) has also been on ebay a few times - so it's worth checking that regularly.

Back