Just popped in to say hello...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just completed a spell as editor of The Woodworker I have recently decided to hit the road and venture to pastures new. So while I was passing I though I would pop in and say hello. I will still contribute to the woodworking press here in the UK but I am going to explore some of my other interests as far as work goes and spend a bit more time woodworking for fun. There is nothing like a deadline to take the fun out of making sawdust!

Now I am not tied to one particular publisher I feel I can pop in here from time to time. Moving from author/journalist to editor was a bit like the poacher turning into the game keeper, now I am back with the poachers, life is a bit more relaxed.

While I was involved with the Woodworker I had a dabble at turning. Although I have turned before, it was usually to make round things for square projects. Turning for turnings sake seems to be addictive so I will be taking the tablets...

Woody (AKA Ralph Laughton) :wink:

Hi Ralph & welcome.

I was quite shocked to read your post, your last editorial gave no clue to your departure, can you say who is taking over the reins at The Woodworker?

I hope you enjoy the forum & wish you the very best in your new endeavors.

Baz.

Hi Baz,

I do say goodbye in my last editorial - it is in the June issue....

Nobody new is coming on-board, Mike Lawrence is going to do the editor's job as well as the production...

BTW... Thank you for the welcomes but I feel a bit of a fraud. I am not new here, it is just that work has kept me away from the forums for one reason or another I joined in 2002 and my membership number is 20 :shock:

Ralph :wink:

Hi Ralph. I haven't read The Woodworker for some time, but I recognise your name. Good to see you back here, tho there was never any reason for you not to post (unless you were told not to?). Nick Gibbs is the only magazine editor who posts here. The other mags now have their own forums, so I guess they don't want to get involved with this one. You will probably find that this is still the most popular forum on the web. Tho a few issues lately have been rocking the boat rather a lot. Stick around. It's 'fun'.

;)

HI Ralph
Interested to hear of your new "direction" - hope you get to spend more time having fun in the workshop.
Best regards
Philly :D

wizer":29ddo1y1 said:
Good to see you back here, tho there was never any reason for you not to post (unless you were told not to?).

It seemed better to stay away from the UK forums as The Woodworker has its own forum and I did not want post on that one either.

Hi Ralph,

Will you still be working on your latest series of books? I won the first one (The Small Workshop) in a competition on the GWW site and it was a good read; plenty of excellent information and ideas for someone starting out in a very small space. I was also looking forward to some of the other titles in the series.

Hi Olly,

Now there is a question... I have all the material to complete that series but I fear that MHS (The publishers) would rather recycle old stuff (which is free) than pay for new material. I was, and still am, freelance, if there is a publisher out there that wants to use it PM me...

Doug B":2klbyuyt said:
wizer":2klbyuyt said:
Nick Gibbs is the only magazine editor who posts here.

;)

Andy King might disagree :lol:

Actually both have been quiet for a while. Maybe it's the company ? :lol:

Hi Ralph, look forward to seeing what you knock out for pleasure now that you have time on your hands. Should Trim, Brad, Doc etc read this "knock out for pleasure" is not a euphemism :)

Ironballs":2c3bbqo0 said:
Hi Ralph, look forward to seeing what you knock out for pleasure now that you have time on your hands.
Dammit, as soon as I read that I was half way to hitting the quote button.

Ironballs":2c3bbqo0 said:
Should Trim, Brad, Doc etc read this "knock out for pleasure" is not a euphemism :)
Then you went and got in there first! ;)

Nice to see you here Ralph, now stop talking a good game and get in the projects section with some pics and proof... ;)

Hey! Who you callin' a poacher! :D :wink:

Seriously, welcome Ralph!

I have given up buying real paper...the reason being...more trees to cut down for wood! :D :D

Anyway...good luck in any new ventures...and glad you can relax into the shavings now!

Jimi

Latest posts

Back