Just found this box in the basement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukey

Established Member
Reaction score
box.jpg

Find of the century.

Look at the inlaid tiny pieces of wood!

Have obviously cleaned and polished it, it was in a heap of sand in the basement, has probably been there for many many years.

Anyone with any knowledge can tell me anything about it?

I think it's Tunbridge ware - very thin strips of wood were glued up in a bundle, then sliced across the grain to make regular patterns.

Nice find!

AndyT":1oklm0io said:
I think it's Tunbridge ware - very thin strips of wood were glued up in a bundle, then sliced across the grain to make regular patterns.

Nice find!

No, these are definately seperate pieces of wood glued together, they are all different colours and everything...

Some of the small cubes have gone missing from the top.

Hi Lukey

Andy is right about it being Tunbridge ware ( that is what the gluing of small bits of together is called ), sometimes used to make pictures.

I will try to find out more for you but its late and I am going to bed :wink:

Thanks for the replies so far...

REading the wikipedia link
Tunbridge ware is a form of decoratively inlaid woodwork, typically in the form of boxes, that is characteristic of Tonbridge and the spa town of Tunbridge Wells in Kent in the 18th and 19th centuries. The decoration typically consists of a mosaic of many very small pieces of different colored woods that form a pictorial vignette. Shaped rods and slivers of wood were first carefully glued together, then cut into many thin slices of identical pictorial veneer with a fine saw. Elaborately striped and feathered bandings for framing were pre-formed in a similar fashion.

There is a collection of Tunbridge ware in the museum in Tunbridge Wells.

It sounds like a very long drawn out process...I imagine this could be valuable?

I very much doubt that it will be valuable. Tunbridge ware pieces were/are very common. It was, after all, a way for decorative trinkets to be mass produced. If you like it, treasure it for its own sake.

Gill

The important things in deciding the value of something like this are age, quality and condition.

From that small picture it's rather difficult to determine any of the above. It's worth taking it down to your local antique auction house, they should be able to give you a reasonable idea of the value.

Be very careful when cleaning it, and definitely don't varnish it or apply any kind of coating except maybe a good wax polish. Any kind of modern coating kills the value straight away!

Looks like a pretty little piece, fairly decorative so there might be some value in it, not likely to be a fortune though unless it's very old or very rare!

Jees, well in good condition it looks to be in price band B or C looking at the otehr similar boxes.

Its in average condition though so I assume that will take it right down to about £30! :lol:

From what I've seen of this stuff, the price often reflects the complexity of the pattern. Your's looks a relatively simple pattern, which would put it at the lower end, but it's still a nice thing to possess. What is the inside like? Is it fitted out at all, or just a plain box (again, fittings tend to push the price up)

Just plain box with 45 degree mitred edges...

Also midding tiny hinges...anyone know where you can get these tiny hinges from (about 9mm wide)

I think that's an old thing and may be worth five times as much as a cable reel, or possibly less or possibly more.

Back