Just Curious

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Having been part of this forum for a while I was curious to know who are the woodworkers that make a living(or try) from this trade.Some are obvious but I suspect there are many more. Please do not think that I am trying to segregate or demean those who do not,because much of the work done in smaller workshops is very likely of better quality than full-timers can afford to turn out.
My reasons for asking are twofold, curiosity and perhaps we could assist each other with occasional work we cannot do, or have time to do.
An example, I recently needed some turnings and after asking on this forum the work was ably completed by one of our contributors.

Just curious
Dom

Well, I sort of make a living from my sort of woodworking, which is making and installing kitchens. Most of these are made from sheet materials, so it is woodworking but not of the sort that is done by most of the forum members. For instance, I don't own a plane, and my two chisels are used for removing paint and hacking at skirting boards after they've been cut with my Fein Multimaster
John

I'd like to make a living from woodwork, or at least some extra money from it, but nothing as of yet. I make my living selling tools, fixings, hardware etc etc.

Matt.

I, too, am a trade woodworker. To be honest is the more commercial/industrial stuff that's earned me a crust in the past - one off commissions generally don't pay well when you work out the risk/costs/time elements - although I'm beginning to find that joinery and kitchen work pays better. At the end of the day doing it for art's sake is all very well, but I'm prepared to sell at least part of my soul to earn a living..... :twisted:

Scrit

Many years ago I went to see a furniture maker/restorer to get a catch for a project I was making. I remember mentioning to him that "I'd like to be a furniture maker when I grow up". His reply? "Well, lad, if you want to work every hour, every day, and just make enough to live on, then go for it."
Despite that, I'm still tempted now and again to follow that dream, until then, I'll stick to engineering!! However, it is great to see that there are many members of this forum who do make a living from doing the woodwork they love.

Andy

I'm not a trade woodworker but I have been earning a bit in the last 12 months or so. Decorative boxes, some commercial and cabinet work so far this year

Bean

strike up another one for working in the trade,
mainly general carpentry at the moment, kitchens etc
trying to change that though!!
but as im only 21 theres plenty of time for that to change

cheers,
matt

I have been running a business full time for 7 years now. The change for us was build our own work space to keep costs under control. But cost still are going up. Taxes and insurance are killers and not something people tend to deal with when they do it under the table. The worst is when businesses and people won't pay up or drag it out for months!

As a business we do what other people won't, very custom work. Right now I am doing a bunch of work for a design show in New York. Last month I finished a Arts and Crafts Kitchen. Next I am doing an Oak Library for a University... on and on....
I know that may hair is falling out, I never get time off and retirement is only a dream.
Mark

I too turn out one off pieces, steer clear of fitted furniture, mainly because it's a skill I don't have. The one off market seems to be more lucrative simply because I'm supplying what clients can't find or don't want to pay high street prices. If any of you guys want fitted kitchen/bedroom or cupboards in alcoves work I turn it down on a regular basis, I'm not looking for a commission, just straight handovers. Based near Elstree/Borehamwood/Watford but find work as far as Marlow, Windsor and Oxford.
If you are interested just pm or e-mail me so I know who to contact with work I can't do.

I work full time as a cabinet maker, I have made a very good living from it so far. I do work very hard though and hours have been very long at times. But its a job I love to do so its all works out fine. I am not self employed so that takes a lot of the worry away about me having to find the work.

Ive been a Carpenter and joiner for 16 years doing things from loft conversions ,night clubs ,shuttering , private houses and over the last 3-4 years more joinery in the workshop making doors ,windows and wardrobes etc . In fact i make anything that cant be bought off the shelf .

I've been making free standing furniture, fitted stuff and kitchens etc for two and half years and am now beginning to make some decent money.

Word of mouth is kicking in and my order book is filled for some time to come. The hours are long but I enjoy it.

A 'can do' attitude is what helps, plus lets be honest a big slice of luck - but thats the same in any small business.

Cheers

Tim

I too try to earn a living from woodwork. Most of my work is furniture restoration, but i also design and make furniture.
As a restorer i have to have a huge knowledge base inc. furniture history, design, authentication, french polishing and other hand finished, very high level of skill for making replacement parts normally by hand, how to colour and blend repairs to look as though they've always been there, laying leather, turning, carving, plus all the skills of new build furniture.
I normally have at least an 8 week waiting list for work (although can creep up to 3 or more months). I work both commercially and for joe public. Commercial work can be a pain if you don't establish terms and stick to them. I've worked for quite a few lords and ladies as well as one of the top hotels in the country.
It is hard work, but at the end of the day, your the boss!

i make a living out of woodwork, although i work for a small company making top end kitchens and fitted furniture. We do get a few one off pieces but not many. I also do a little exta general carpentry and also have my own small workshop at home.

I feel out of place here!
I am actually a lifting and shifting instructor (cranes, forklifts ect.). However, I am a City & Guilds qualified carpenter and joiner, but binned the job after 2 years of qualifying. Recently got back into it refurbishing our house which is 145 years old. It is saving me a fortune doing it myself and think I am quite a good joiner of wood, but don't have the speed to make a living out of it. I also teach the safety of woodworking machines, occaisionally.

Dicky

Sorry,
should have read the thread properly! My apologies for answering a totaly different question.

Dicky

Served a 5year apprenticeship as Carpener/Joiner,( starting July 1965, 2 days after I left school!)with a Shopfitting Co. Went self-employed in Jan 1971,stayed in shopfitting 'til 1991,ended up with 9 guys working for me,throughout GB, also most of Europe. Due to reccession,and personal reasons, I quit, moved to Lincolnshire, started up a Woodturning business, which I still do today, although I'm now in Dorset. Almost all of my work involves BIG turnings!,10ft columns, porch posts,newels and spindles,ect.
I ALWAYS insist on payment upon delivery, no payment,no goods,simple! When I go into a shop to buy something, they want the money there and then, they won't wait 30 days, why should I?
As far as hours are concerned, they're not long, just 60 minute ones like everyone elses!. I usually start at about 9am and its very rare if I'm still in the workshop after half 4pm. I usually have about 8 weeks off in the summer, at which time I am to be found, Motorcycling somewhere in Europe. Its a tough ol' life!

TC (on best behavour)

Back