Just bought a lathe - what next ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11redrex

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here so be gentle with me :)
I've been thinking about buying a small lathe for a while, mainly so I can have a go at making my own drum sticks.
I had a look at the drill-powered Axminster lathe, but I would have had to buy another drill as well, as mine is an old monster. So I thought for roughly the same total price (£71.50 delivered) the SIP 01488 looked pretty good.
Any opinions on it ? Anyone used one and hated or loved it ?
Is there anything else (like a chuck ?) I'll need to buy to enable me to hold an 18mm diameter dowel in it ?
The supplier (Aktive Tools) said I can use it straight out of the box for what I want to do, but you never know......
cheers
john

Hi John, and welcome to our little icy hill.

My opinion is that I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. It would probably do what you want IF all you want is to turn drum sticks. The odds are you would want to try other things then the disappointment would set in. It is not a very substantial machine, and there are far better on the market for only a few more £s.

IMO the best cheapest new lathe on the market just now http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Perform-CCSL-Woodturning-Lathe-21733.htm it would have a long life span ahead of it, and even if you wanted to upgrade in the future you would probably keep it and use it as a second lathe. In which case you don't lose any hard earned cash.

For turning between centers (drum sticks) you don't need a chuck so any small lathe would do you.

My little bit, hope it helps.

Good luck!

Hello and welcome :D

Just as an aside,Morse Taper 2 (2MT) is,I believe,18mm diameter.So if you had a 2MT headstock,you could probably use it as a friction drive,so no immediate need for a chuck.
However,I agree with Tam - the CCSL would be better.(Isn't hindsight marvellous.. :lol: )

Andrew

Okey dokey, if it'll do what I need it to I'll be happy.
I think the wood I've got is called Ramin ? It came from a pet shop suppliers, and was described as a hard wood suitable for parrot perches .
Anyone used this type of wood , or know where I can lay my hands on some hickory or oak ?

Hi 11redrex, Welcome to the forum, for timber sources have a look at the list in my signature for stockists near you.

Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm, indeed we will do everything we can to get you involved with this 'spinney things' world, but turning spindles, that's basically what a drumstick is, to be consistent and balanced in pairs may not be as easy as you think.

Expect to spend some time with scrap wood before you tackle any expensive buys in timber, learning how to use the tools safely and to sharpen them effectively.

To this end I would recommend you get a copy of the late keith Rowleys book Woodturning: A foundation course and study it a while before you embark on the project.

I too would endorse the perform range for your needs at this time. Not Rolls Royce but workmanlike tools.

Hi John, welcome

Lathes are a bit like women... the nearest one is the most beautiful :lol:

Yours will get you started on the slippery slope. The ramin should be OK for the drumsticks but as has been suggested, make a few from scrap pine... remember, every cut is practise.

When you've achieved an acceptable finish on pine (well known for grain tearout!) you'll be ready for the ramin :wink:

I have had a Perform for about 10 months and given the poor thing a right hammering, probably more than it was built for and it is still going. As has been said not Rolls Royces but perhaps more like Skodas (don't forget they consistently won their class in rally championships). Beauty is that they are compatible in size if (when) you decide that drumsticks are getting boring and you want start making the drums as well :lol:

Welcome to the slope, forget brakes....they don't work on here

Pete

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice, I read a few posts here before deciding to join up and you seem like a friendly knowledgeable bunch.
I'll hunt down a copy of the book, it seems to be the one to start with, and I have no experience of wood turning, so it'll be time well spent reading up first.
I cut my silver birch back a couple of months ago, and haven't burnt it all yet. Is it any good for turning ?

Not bad, tends to be on the soft side if young wood, not much character but ideal for practice.

John,

Is there any chance we can tempt you into divulging what makes a good drumstick? My brother is a bit of a drummer and I suspect that he'd love a few good drumsticks. Never having done any myself I've never been too sure what makes a good one, although I assume that a fairly hard, heavy wood would be a good choice, and presumably they're about a foot or so long

Quite some time ago I got a pack of spindle turning off cuts from Craft Supplies for a fiver. It was mostly bubinga and zebrano I think, both of which might make some nice sticks. It might well be worth a try, although you won't know what wood will be in it until it arrives and I suppose that there's always the chance that the longest piece will just be a couple of inches too short. By the way, most of the bits I got were roughly 2x2, so they'd need cutting down, but then each piece coudl make 2 pairs of drumsticks.

Cheers,

Dod

Hi John,

I'm just a few months ahead of you but have to agree it's a friendly place.

I would just like to say since purchasing Keith Rowleys book I have learnt so much. A lot of the methods I was using proved to be totally wrong and the book corrected a lot of my errors.

Oh and welcome to the Forum :)

Cheers

Shaun

Wanlock Dod":t7hxh8gl said:
John,

Is there any chance we can tempt you into divulging what makes a good drumstick?
Dod

What makes a good drumstick ? The drummer I reckon ;)
There are hundreds of different sticks available, ranging from a couple of quid (usually maple) to over £30 (hollow aluminium) for a pair.
The design is also extremely variabe. Shaft diameter and length, tip size and shape, taper, balance point, and the material, all play a part in what makes the perfect stick. Some prefer flexibility, some like heavy sticks, acorn tips, short taper - the list goes on and on !
I'm after making something shorter than normal, with a big round tip, some kind of grip and most importantly, it has to be tough. I play in a samba group where we carry our drums with us, and normal sticks tend to be a bit too long and slippery.
Your brother may already have a favourite stick you could copy, or even improve on to his specifications.

Hi John, welcome to the band, stick at it and sambaday you'll
be wondering what all the fuss was about. :lol:

nice one Kevin, I haven't laughed so much since I heard the one about the cheap lathe and the barge pole :wink:
It arrived today, so at least the service is good. The box is a bit tatty, so it may be a catalgue return or just old stock.
I'll be speaking to SIP tomorrow to see what they say, and also to ask about any extras I might need.
Speaking of cheap lathes, I saw the Clarke beginners model for £65 delivered on Chronos yesterday. Buggerrr.

Well, after a bit of a shakey start, I eventually got round to ruining a couple of perfectly good parrot perches this morning.
How does so much wood become so little so quickly ?
How does quickly become 4 hours ?
And finally, does anyone want a pair of miniature drumsticks ?

11redrex":3c0j4f50 said:
... anyone want a pair of miniature drumsticks ?

Miniatures already!!!! It's a great way to make the most of your wood supplies :lol:

Back