Joseph Marples T14 Mortice Gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vann":3u73xzqg said:
Excuse my hignorance :shock: but weren't Marples taken over by Record, and are now just a name in the Irwin Tools catalogue, or is Joseph Marples a different Marples?

Vann.

Yes - Marples was more a dynasty than an induividual. Right up there with the many Tyzacks.

'Twas William Marples that joined Record.

BugBear

I'm all confuzzled :roll: on this merging of the brands!!! I have got Marples, Irwin chisels, nowhere does it say record! But then times you see Irwin with the record brand......... I come to the conclusion that the brands are OK if you recognise the name and thats that! :wink:

joiner_sim":23i9x4b2 said:
I'm all confuzzled :roll: on this merging of the brands!!! I have got Marples, Irwin chisels, nowhere does it say record!:
I understand Record merged with, or bought out, Marples (William Marples apparently), then Irwin bought out Record. So now Irwin market former Record products as Irwin Record and former Marples products as Irwin Marples, etc. (there were even Irwin Nooitgedagt products for a while)

I don't know if there's any real Record or Marples craftmanship still in these products, or whether it's just a marketing ploy for Irwin products. I believe the old Marples factory in Sheffield is derilict. I don't know where current Irwin Marples chisels are produced.

Cheers, Vann.

The marking gauge in question was made by Joseph Marples. STill a Sheffield based family firm since 1840 something. and still run by a Marples (Tony).

Irwin Marples and other IRwin products have nothing to do with that and our currently made in China.

The machinery that was used to make Marples blue chip chisels was sold by Irwin and is now owned and operated by Footprint. Also of Sheffield.

Joel Moskowitz":2j3zalca said:
The machinery that was used to make Marples blue chip chisels was sold by Irwin and is now owned and operated by Footprint. Also of Sheffield.
Hmm, so I presume, if you want Marples (William) quality chisels, you have to buy Footprint? Footprint would use Sheffield steel, though not necessarily the same steel as Marples used.

Joel Moskowitz":2j3zalca said:
Irwin Marples and other IRwin products have nothing to do with that and our currently made in China.
I understand Sheffield still produces massive amounts of quality steel. So are Irwin Marples chisels made in China of imported Sheffield steel, or do they use Chinese steel?

Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm trying to get my head around which brands still use quality materials.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":2bqocfai said:
...I understand Sheffield still produces massive amounts of quality steel. ....

Cheers, Vann.

what makes you think that? THere are a couple of steel dealers left in sheffield but I doubt very highly that there are any steel makers left there. I would even be surprised if ANY steel refining is still done in the UK although it's possible - there are still a few rolling mills left.

almost all steel rolled today is made of recycled scrap. In order to produce "Sheffield steel" you would need a huge steel mill, a coke supply, the proper ore supply. Not to mention people who understood some of the old time, really costly methods of refining. and it would be really expensive. None of that's been around for years.

Joel Moskowitz":3p5et33e said:
Vann":3p5et33e said:
...I understand Sheffield still produces massive amounts of quality steel. ....
what makes you think that?
Okay, I guess I'm wrong. I read something (when I was looking up Clifton planes) that suggested Sheffield still produced as much steel as ever. I must have mis-read.

...and as I'm in New Zealand, it's a bit too far away for me to drive through/past from time to time... :? :lol:

Cheers, Vann.

I reread my post and it sounded a little harsh. I apologize if I sound jumping down your throat. It's really depressing for me as I see the entire industrial infrastructure of England, Europe and the US demolished.
I've been told by reliable sources that it's actually less expensive to make a chisel on What was Marples automated chisel line than it is to import them from China but a corporate culture of today that really wants to get out the the business fo making anything.
Sadly, IMHO a country that can't manufacture anything won't succeed long-term.

Joel Moskowitz":mj3l8oci said:
I reread my post and it sounded a little harsh. I apologize if I sound jumping down your throat.
No offence taken. I've just picked up snippets of info here and there. It's not all correct (and I may have misread some too :shock: )

Joel Moskowitz":mj3l8oci said:
It's really depressing for me as I see the entire industrial infrastructure of England, Europe and the US demolished.
It's the same here (not that NZ ever had much of an industrial base). Every week or so, another firm closes down and manufacturing is moved to China, or elsewhere.
Irwin announced, three weeks ago, that they're closing their plant in Wellsford - I think they make circular saw blades there. And the last time I bought a router bit from the local manufacture (expensive but good quality) the backing cardboard no longer had the "Made in NZ" emblem on it - I suspect they've moved some or all production off-shore. I don't mind paying a small premium to support local industry, but I'm blowed if I'll pay top dollar for cheaply produced products.

Cheers, Vann.

joiner_sim":2vmq90eo said:
Is FOOTPRINT, a decent brand? :?:

In the context of present mass market manufacturers, yeah, it's OK.

Around the same as Record, CK, Draper Professional.

BugBear

I think what remains of our steel making industry is now confined to Port Talbot and Scunthorpe?
I know that no Stainless Steels are made in Sheffield (who "invented" the process) anymore.
Very sad.

Rod

Back