Joseph Marples T14 Mortice Gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Not impressed with wheel gauges like the Titemark from Lie Nielsen I thought I would go back to something I grew up with so I've bought a Joseph Marples T14 Mortice Gauge. Here are some pics of it.

3386647141_696d534114.jpg

3386646329_c64dbbec69.jpg

3386647447_1648f7f76d.jpg

3386643533_0704062eea.jpg

3387457322_6b9ebcf6a9.jpg

3386646669_9b1089382e.jpg

The handle on this new gauge from Joseph Marples is shorter than some I've owned but it's by far the heaviest, with that thick brass front you cant expect anything else. :)

Hi, Nibbo

Very nice, apart from the steel cross head screws, are you going to fit brass slotted ones?

Pete

Pretty. Much prefer proper gauges - though I de-combi mine to avoid repeated stabbings.
Alternatively buy plasters or a thimble :twisted:

Lord Nibbo":3n5othw7 said:
Not impressed with wheel gauges like the Titemark from Lie Nielsen I thought I would go back to something I grew up with so I've bought a Joseph Marples T14 Mortice Gauge. Here are some pics of it.

3386643533_0704062eea.jpg

Can you advise me on how one uses a mortise gauge with FOUR pins ?!?

:)

BugBear

Lord Nibbo":2vg41elp said:
Paul Chapman":2vg41elp said:
Very nice, Your Lordship. Better not show it on the other side - too many brass knobs :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I was going to, just to wind up Mr Grimsdale
2073430971_896897fb5b_o.gif
...always good, 'specially if you can get him to snap :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":11t1qmde said:
Lord Nibbo":11t1qmde said:
Paul Chapman":11t1qmde said:
Very nice, Your Lordship. Better not show it on the other side - too many brass knobs :lol:

Paul

And to think that he got banned from here because of accusations that he was trolling.

:shock: :shock:

Jake":123n9jjr said:
woodbloke":123n9jjr said:
Lord Nibbo":123n9jjr said:
Paul Chapman":123n9jjr said:

Paul

And to think that he got banned from here because of accusations that he was trolling.

Ah! yes, but.... I didn't, so I'm not, am I? :D

Jake":es53mhxa said:

I thought he got banned because the murderators had been told by their mummy not to play with rough boys from the council estate :lol:

lurker":5ksbwpli said:
Jake":5ksbwpli said:

I thought he got banned because the murderators had been told by their mummy not to play with rough boys from the council estate :lol:

There's nothing wrong with council estates :eek:

i bought one of these for work this year when spending up the budget (and a matching square) - no real need for it as we already have a cheap plastic effort from B&poo but this ones all shiny , and has pollished wood and sparkly slidy bits ;)

seems a shame to let it come into contact with all that nasty dirty wood ;) :D

Lord Nibbo":2d91p16z said:
Oh! yes, but.... I didn't, so I'm not, am I? :D

I guess so - it wasn't really you I was thinking of anyway.

Back to the subject - it's very pretty in a brassy way. I've got a few oldies like that (maybe a bit less brass, or a bit obvious with the tarnish at least!), and I think I share your preference over the wheel type (not that I've shelled out for a full-blown titemark).

I have one and I think they're great, though mine has the brushed face rather than the shiny one here. Recently got a Veritas wheel gauge and much prefer that for marking out single lines

I don't know where I'd be without my marking gauge sometimes, this one looks slightly better than mine :eek: with it's complete brass guide, where as mine is wood and brass. Looks well nice nonetheless. Mines a bit batttered now! :roll:

I have one with out the brass face..Was using it today.
It is very scratched up due to constant use...
When new it was all shiny and impressive but it has to be
used and scratches will happen...
Well guys at least we do not have to polish all that brass Like
Lord Nibbo :wink:

matt":33i6bdjt said:
I bought one of those about a year ago, along with a Multico mortiser. I've yet to cut a mortice.... (maybe this year when I'll probably get round to making a new side gate)...

With a machine mortiser (of course) you don't need a mortise gauge!

BugBear

bugbear":175bsxhx said:
With a machine mortiser (of course) you don't need a mortise gauge!

BugBear

:shock: I do understand what you mean BugBear I have a Sedgwick 571 but I still prefer to mark up mortises in the traditional way, even when I use the Sedgwick. :)

Excuse my hignorance :shock: but weren't Marples taken over by Record, and are now just a name in the Irwin Tools catalogue, or is Joseph Marples a different Marples?

Vann.

Latest posts

Back