Jonz tractor/trailer WIP.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
I said a little while back that I would see if I could do a WIP of the tractor/trailer that I have been ranting over on here for a while. Oh dear, where to start, so please live with it if you can 'cause I ain't done nuffin like this before?

I would like to say thank you to Ab for the identification of it as a Lanz Bulldog, built around the 1950s?

I started with a fair stock of beech fire wood and after a bit of searching found the bits that I thought would do the job.

1IMG_15431.jpg

The only parts that aren't turned are the chassis' for the tractor and trailer. So the base was cut and sanded. The engine block was turned and the sides and base cut on my band saw. The seat is turned and part carefully cut out. Not too deep as to cut onto the seat!

1IMG_14431.jpg

Next, the main wheels. They are turned from a block that I had spindle turned so as to put a dovetail tenon to hold in my chuck. Turn the inside with a small dovetail tenon, drill the hole and then part off. I was making 2 tractors this time so all 4 mains were done. Reverse the wheels in the chuck and turn the outer face. Then using my index wheel on the chuck mark out the 12 holes. The holes are drilled on my drill press with a lip and spur drill to make sure it is accurate. The front wheels are done the same way.

1IMG_2897.jpg

The axels are all turned to size with a very slight waist where the wheels are so that it is an interference fit for everything but the wheels so they turn freely. The axle heads are left rough and turned to shape in a 10 mm pinch chuck that I made using one of the pinch chuck bands from my very old chuck set.

The mudguards are turned as a shallow dish with a hole in the middle and cut to shape on the band saw.

1IMG_2875.jpg

The steering wheel, fly wheel and chimney are turned after being drilled so the hole is in the middle.. Then the shaft on the steering blocks were turned to fit the vertical hole. The head lights and fixing dowels too. By this time there were a lot of bits!

1IMG_2849.jpg

A fun part was after I had turned the pieces for the rear brakes they then had to be cut almost in 1/2. They are about a 1" diameter with the axle hole in them. As I tend to like having 4 fingers on each hand I decided to hold them with crescent pipe grips! No problems. Everything was cobbled together to see how it looked

1IMG_2850.jpg

It all looked good so the rear brake parts were glued onto the chassis and the axle holes drilled.

All of the bits were cellulose sanding sealed and buffed on my new toy (Beall buffing sys)

Now time to put everything together. A great deal of care is needed so as not to glue the wheels, etc. solid to the tractor. Anyway, they all move OK

1IMG_15551.jpg

Next, the trailer. I'd cut the base when I did the tractor. All of the wheels were turned the same way as for the tractor. I have to admit that I used a skew chisel to round off the tyres. It was much easier and quicker. Left a lovely finish that only needed a very light sanding too. Om the original one that I made for me I followed the plan for the tow hitch and made it from bamboo turned to about 3 mm diameter, but I had always thought it too fragile. I didn't like the swivel either. Too complicated. So I sat and had a think (I do sometimes!) and came up with this

1IMG_2907.jpg

1IMG_2908.jpg

1IMG_2923.jpg

1IMG_2910.jpg

I think it's a lot stronger and more pleasing. Once again some very careful gluing was need to put it all together. The original top is the one with the railings and I thought that they were too delicate for boys to have on a toy. After all, that's what it is. So I put 4 corner posts into holes drilled into the corners and carefully glued the planking in. As an afterthought I decided that if I could keep on loosing the tow pin every time I turned a tractor over to do something underneath then a youngster would lose it quick time! So I turned a small pin to go into the chassis, drilled the tow pin and put some fine nylon cord through the 2 and glued the small pin into the chassis!!

Almost all of the turning was done with my Crown miniature turning tools and they were a god-send!

So at the moment I have a farmyard full of tractor/trailers, but by christmas I will be back to one again!

1IMG_2924.jpg

1IMG_2927.jpg

These are really lovely and I'm sure kids will love playing with them, a rare hand crafted toy indeed.

Superb work in progress too, I was totally engrossed in it.

Thanks for a real treat indeed.

Lee.

Someone here, Pete I think??? Said that they had watched a youtube video of a pro turner who said that if you start with firewood that is what you finish up with. In a way I suppose he's right 'cause it will burn, but if I have got it correct that is one of the things about all wood?

It may still be firewood, but I think it looks a bit better now?

Love those pieces John, some kids are going to get lucky this chrimbo.
Just wondering what chuck you have in your lathe. I use a vicmarc 120 which is a lovely chuck but I need something to hold smaller stuff. I thought of getting some vicmarc pin jaws but its a bit of a chew changing jaws each time?
Cheers
Steve

Great fun reading this John. Thanks for spending the time. Some lucky kids will be getting cherished presents - and i expect these will in turn become Heirlooms.

Wonderful work.

Loz

John, oh how nice, a bunch of other Lanz Bulldoggies complete with trailer. I love it !!
Great WIP pictures, thanks for posting this.
Ad

Brilliant "nearly repeat" turning!

As a kid (a long time ago!) I had a wooden lorry which was in the same style, and I loved it - still got it in the loft stored away carefully 60-odd years later. So much better than the plastic tat that is bought one week and goes to the tip or the car boot sale the next weekend.

Only one carp - as a vintage tractor person, I don't like the high back on the seats. UK tractors of the "suggested" era mostly had the good old spoon shaped seats on a long spring :D

Latest posts

Back