jointing hardwood worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
I will be fitting a new kitchen for myself fairly soon. I am using solid walnut worktop. Should I stick to routing masons mitres with the jig or a simple straight butt? Also what does one use as a sealant for the joint?

thanks for any advice.

cheers,

ike

I suppose the mitre would look best, but don't these worktop joints have underside bolts, in routed housings, to pull up the joint? I should use Cascamite for preference, if gluing is appropriate. Cascamite is totally waterproof.

I am not sure myself though, if gluing is appropriate. :)

Regards
John

Ike
Use a butt joint - as the timber will expand/contract over the year a miter will open up. So on solid worktops use butt joints. Use a router and straightedge to get a perfectly straight and clean edge. And then rout the underside for butterfly bolts to hold the thing together.
I use clear silicon as a sealant - works great.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Oh I hadn't thought about movement. Because its laminated with many short blocks, I thought that would make it as stable as postform what with all the glue involved. Anyway, thanks very much Philly, I was going to use the pocket clamps regardless since I've got the jig, but I'll certainly go for straight joints as you advise!

Edit: Aah the penny's just dropped. :oops: Of course, you mean movement across the grain will still happen.

cheers,

Ike

Straight Butt joints will only work if you have square edged worktops, if they come with a slight chamfer or roundover (such as Ikea) then you will have to use a shallow masons mitre. Basically the female part of the cut only needs to be deep enough to remove the edge moulding.

Also remember to use slotted brackets to hold the worktop down to the carcases to allow for movement across their width. And apply your chosen finish to the underside before fixing to avoid unbalanced moisture take-up or release.

And to be super safe you should use food safe silicon as the mould inhibitors in some of the silicons can be harmful, but you would need to eat a lot of it :wink:

Jason

Thanks for the tips J, hadn't thought of slotted brackets either!

cheers,

Ike

Back