Joinery Glues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreToolsPlease

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
One of the windows I make is from mitre master.
As I'm sure you have guessed, all of the joints in the system are mitres, which are strengthened with chevrons.
One of the more time consuming parts of the window is cleaning up the glue after it has been joined.
Currently I'm using a polyurethane glue that expands, but takes forever to clean up.
I'm going to be making up some test corners with different glues, but wanted to make sure I had all the bases covered before I start.
What I'm really looking for is something like polyurethane, but that can be cleaned off with a wet rag just after it has been joined.
The ones I'm going to test so far will be standard exterior PVA, cascamite, and a polyurethane which doesn't expand.
Are there any other brands and types of glue I should include in these samples?

Thanks

Matt

I think you're covered the main glues suitable for exterior use. Can't think of any others myself though, you're likely to find "cascamite" (urea formaldehyde) sold under many different names (eg. "resinite").

PVA and cascamite should wipe off quite well with a damp cloth - as long as your not too slow, that is! :wink:

I've always found polyureathane glues clean off quite easily once they're set; all you need is a sharp chisel and it scrapes off so easily. Haven't tried any non-expanding stuff before but, I usually find PU glue to be quite difficult to wipe off after it's been applied - I just seem to make more of a mess! :roll:

I thought there were two part superglues especially for mitres. Axminster sell one called MitreBond. I've used it for small non-mitre jobs - seemed to work, but Axminster ought to be able to tell you if it's the real deal.
Regards

You're right, there are several of those about. I don't know how weatherproof they may be though.

If longevity is the aim I should check on what boat builders use.
Personally I've always found that PUs are easy to clean off, a sharp chisel seems to work for me.

Roy.

Digit":2iv8sxah said:
If longevity is the aim I should check on what boat builders use.
Personally I've always found that PUs are easy to clean off, a sharp chisel seems to work for me.

Roy.

I find the everbuild ones wether the gel or liquid are good

It's very easy to clean off on a flat surface, but when there is a rebate, 2 double ovolo moulds and euro grooves, the task is a lot more time consuming.
I'm going to look at titebond 3, that claims to be the best of both worlds

Back