Job wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worsley947

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening everyone
I am looking to see if anyone in west sussex or east sussex has a job vacancy in woodworking/cabinet making, I have completed a 2 year city and guilds course in cabinet making at newark college and looking for any type of work to enable me to keep on learning with a hands on approach
I have posted on here various items that I have made whilst at college
Any help advice and or infomation would be most helpful
Many thanks in advance
Dave

What I didnt say was that I dont mind if Im dont earn any money but can learn and be able to use some machinery to do my own hobby bits and pieces
So some one must need help and able me to learn
Lets hope
Thanks
Dave

Dave, best of luck with your job search, you are 'thinking outside the box' if I may use that term (Don't really like it but it seems appropriate here :!: )

One thing I would suggest you do is make sure if there are any takers for the unpaid but with trainning thing that you assure them that you are not going to sue the hell out of them if you get injured due to your fault.

It's my firm belief that many small employers are scared witless by the possibility of being sued and taken to court by employees because they have not complied with every comma and full stop in the mountains of 'ealth & safety legislation. :roll:

Even if you are not receiving a wage you are STILL technically an employee, if you can give an employersome assurances on that score you might stand a better chance.

Let us know what happens and don't get down hearted if at first nothing comes your way.

Losos, many thanks for your reply, No I wouldnt put the kind of pressure on anyone I only want to carry on learning and have somewhere to be able to do my own stuff, so heres hoping and waiting
Dave

Hello mate

I don't want to rain on your hopes, and it is great to put your idea out there, but perhaps you should continue thinking 'outside the box'. When I first started I couldn't give work away. It took a long time to make a little progress. I ended up buying my own machinery from auctions/liquidations and kind of jumping in on my own (kitchen full of planers and saws and one very understanding wife - which some of this parish will attest to). I would be very nervous about letting someone, pretty much anyone, use my machines for the very reasons that have already been outlined; fear of accidents. Not so much being sued (can't get blood out of a stone...), rather you hurting yourself badly and being unable to make progress. To take somone on in a workshop environment a potential employer would have to spend time (read money) overseeing what you were doing. There is, of course, the possibility of the machines being damaged (Sods law dictates that a machine will always break when a new hand touches it).
Please do not be disheartened by this; I am being realistic with you (I think). I would suggest you are better off NOT offering to work for free as it may project the kind of image you need to avoid. I honestly think you should concentrate on making your own way, as best you can, and perhaps when you get a chance apply for jobs relative to your needs. There are, occasionally, trainee positions advertised.

I say this because I fear if I had spent all my energy applying for jobs in workshops etc I would be very low on pen and paper by now, and would have made little progress in all these years. By all means continue asking, maybe approach some individuals in person, which may endear you to someone. Too easy to say no on a forum/phone/letter etc. But do not expect too much and you will not be disappointed.

Do you have any workshop space at home? A garage?

Best wishes, and I do hope this helps.

Neil

Hi neil thanks for your info, the problem is I have nowhere at home to do anything, I have all the machiery in my garage but thats in a compound away from the house with no electricity the house I live in I only rent and it has a tiny garden. I have tried looking for bench space but people want between £60 and £100 per day and I cant find anywhere to rent that I can afford, but I will keep looking
Also because I sah I had recently finnished college I think people think Im a youngster but Im 50 in may :D :D
Dave

Hi

I have the same problem re space at home.... rented, tiny shed, and I also have a rented council garage away from my home with no power..... I'm thinking of getting a small generator for the garage. At least i'd have a little bit of power then? might be worth your thoughts as well?

You could try John Lloyd on Ditchling Common as he does rent out workspace in some very nice workshops. Not sure if this is limited to ex-students though.

Dave
I am so sorry you are still having trouble. Stick with it mate, it will be worth it in the end. It is, for me, a real joy to be able to stand back from a piece and say, to myself (quietly) - I did that.
As I think has been said - make sure you keep your quality high, even if it takes longer, thus more money, than you think. This is what will bring in more work for you, ultimately. The only other thing I can suggest is to approach EVERYONE with space in your area. Farms are a good bet round my way; they often have a spare room in a barn or outhouse they can let out. You would want to soup up security with most of them though.

Sincerely, good luck.

Neil

Latest posts

Back