Jigsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanetsBears

Established Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Carter Johnson, I decided to have a go at a Christmas card jigsaw. Unfortunately, I made a real mess of gluing the card on the plywood so I used this piece as an experiment. The first experiment was to see how well the picture had been stuck to the wood - as the top layer of the card separated from the lower level, I think it's safe to assume that the glue is strong enough. By the time I'd peeled the top layer of picture off it was clear this was never going to be a good finished jigsaw (it's not even a good picture), so I didn't bother lacquering it which I think is the reason the top layer of the picture has lifted slightly on some of the sharper corners. Anyway, thought I may as well try cutting it but instead of going for Carter's 'piece at a time' approach I cut it in strips then cut up the strips.

This is how it turned out, and the second picture shows how it holds together when lifted by just a couple of pieces with thumb and finger.

Chris
20170129_100118b.jpg

20170129_100136b.jpg

20170129_100703b.jpg

Attachments

• 20170129_100118b.jpg
    20170129_100118b.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 1,099
  • 20170129_100136b.jpg
    20170129_100136b.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 1,099
  • 20170129_100703b.jpg
    20170129_100703b.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 1,099
You have done a great job cutting that out Chris! just noticed the size of it (spotted your thumb) It look very neat and love the photo of the deer.
Cheers
Brian

Thanks for the comments Brian, but it's clear I have a lot to learn! I did find that cutting a jigsaw was quite relaxing though and it's certainly good practice, so I expect to be doing more soon.

Chris

Lovely work Chris.

I have been wanting to have a go at the Christmas card jigsaws for a while now but can't quite get my head round how to go about it. What thickness wood did you use? What glue did you use - I was planning on using spray mount...? What blade did you use?

Thanks,

Jimi

JimiJimi":1p14bxay said:
Lovely work Chris.

I have been wanting to have a go at the Christmas card jigsaws for a while now but can't quite get my head round how to go about it. What thickness wood did you use? What glue did you use - I was planning on using spray mount...? What blade did you use?

Thanks,

Jimi

Hi Jimi,

Thanks for the comments. I'm new to scrolling and only got my saw just over two weeks ago so I know there are lots of 'issues' with my jigsaw and I have a lot to learn, but I can offer some advice - give it a go, it's good practice if nothing else, and don't use a pattern for the pieces, that way you can't be accused of drifting off the lines! :D

I've used 6mm (or thereabouts) plywood, stuck the picture down with a 'stick and stay' spray that I found in my wife's craft room, and cut it with the smallest blade from the Pegas starter pack that Axminster kindly sent me with my new saw. It's labelled as No. 1 - 90.402

I have prepared another couple of cards but have also lacquered them after the glue had dried. Hopefully, this should provide a more durable finish.

The cutting of the 56 pieces took me less than an hour and I'm new to scrolling, so just give it a go, what have you got to lose?

Chris

You have done a fine job there Chris and I love the idea of jigsaw cards.....will ya be sending them to friends/relatives in December?
Also have you tried Mod Podge for finishing stuff? it has many uses and from what i can make out they use it for sealing/finishing paper/card so might work on your jigsaws. Here's their website but they sell it in the UK https://www.plaidonline.com/mod-podge-f ... roduct.htm

Cheers
Brian

I think you made a great job of cutting that out. When I attempted one it looked such a mess I set fire to it before anyone spotted it, and I had been scrolling 2 or 3 years at that time.

Thanks again for the comments. My wife has some mod-podge stuff in her craft room - will have to investigate!

Chris

Looks great. I'm thinking that a lot of greetings cards would have some great figurals in them to cut out?

A nativity would be great with all the people & animals as figurals in a jigsaw.

An example...

fallsfigural.jpg

I think 'whimsies' is another description of those special-shaped pieces.

I added three figurals, of sorts, to a four-layered jigsaw I made for my sister... an obvious heart between them, Shrek ears on her other-half, and my teenage hero Freddie Mercury stood on the bay.

I think they add nice touches for people to find, I didn't tell her they were there.

Tam Jigsaw.jpg

Attachments

• Tam Jigsaw.jpg
    Tam Jigsaw.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 811
Very clever! just spotted Freddie :cool: I spent a fortune going to Queen gigs over the years and always a good show.

Claymore":18svwu3d said:
Very clever! just spotted Freddie :cool: I spent a fortune going to Queen gigs over the years and always a good show.
My biggest regret, they last toured when I was 18, I had no-one to go with so thought I'd wait for the next tour :(

Back