Jigsaw blades... reverse cut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandyAndy

Established Member
Reaction score
Something that's been bothering me for a while... you know how most 'standard' jigsaw blades cut on the upstroke so you the the clean cut on the side you can't see? ...and then you can get the 'reverse' blades so you get the clean cut on the top? ...well, why would you ever want the 'clean' side to be on the bottom? Why aren't 'reverse' blades the standard blade?? I'm sure there's a very sensible explanation. :D

Maybe so you can't see any marking out? Perhaps reverse cut, top side looks best are for piercing jobs like floorboard hatches. Maybe it's less likely to jump around in pull cut format? As you can probably tell I don't really know :lol: .

With a normal blade the reaction to the cutting force is taken by the base so all the user has to do is guide the cut.

MM

Think about a padsaw or japanese saws with thin blades - if you try to cut on the push stroke (downhill on the jigsaw) there's every chance the blade will buckle. Have never actually had this happen with a downcutting jigsaw, but it's still a possibility

Most fitters I know will scribe cut with the jigsaw upside down. i.e. all they see is the blade following the line.

dickm":2at764cf said:
Think about a padsaw or japanese saws with thin blades - if you try to cut on the push stroke (downhill on the jigsaw) there's every chance the blade will buckle. Have never actually had this happen with a downcutting jigsaw, but it's still a possibility
Of course - thank you! This coupled with the base taking the force makes sense. Mind put at rest and I won't chuck all my standard blades in the bin then. :lol:

Yeah, I've seen the upsidedown scribe cut a fair bit too and always view it as highly dangerous - I much prefer a reverse cut blade but interested to know pros and cons!

If you use an orbital jigsaw (one where the blade cuts forward and backward as it cuts up and down), then you have to turn the orbital action off if you are using a down-cut jigsaw blade. It is a much slower cutting action.

With a standard up-cutting blade, the process is far quicker but the finish of the cut is rougher on the upper visible surface.

By operating the jigsaw upside down, you can cut far quicker and have the clean cut edge facing you as you do it.

It does take practice and a firm wrist, but I have been doing it like this for years and don't find it a problem or dangerous.

Back