Jewellery box mk3.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The glass is in and mouldings have been glued to outside and inside of the glass.

30w.jpg

A couple of pics of the door sitting in position, and pleased to say it is fitting well.

31w.jpg

32w.jpg

I have now got the hinges to fit, this time I am going to temporary superglue the hinges to the door frame and then again to the carcass.
The door frame is under 9mm thick, and my smallest screws are 12.5 mm x2 or 4's, so if anyone has got half a dozen 6mm screws they can spare I would say thank you.

My neighbour who has done glass painting in the past I hope can put a flower arrangement to the glass so things might slow down for a while.

(got some drawer pulls to sort out as well)

Attachments

• 30w.jpg
    30w.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 858
  • 31w.jpg
    31w.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 858
  • 32w.jpg
    32w.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 858
DW smallest screws I have are 2.5 x 12, if there any good your welcome to them.

Baldhead

PS enjoying the WIP pics
#-o #-o #-o you already have this size, how stupid am I.

Baldhead":2xn0eljp said:
DW smallest screws I have are 2.5 x 12, if there any good your welcome to them.

Baldhead

PS enjoying the WIP pics
#-o #-o #-o you already have this size, how stupid am I.

As you state, yes I am ok on the half inch ones, I shall most probably grind some down if I cannot locate any quarter inch ones.

Baldy, I can tell you I am pleased with the box as well, the glue up was a bit stressful, but pleased you enjoy the wips.

My neighbour has completed the glass painting to the box door and she has made a lovely job of it. Inks used are for glass painting and the painting has been applied to the inside of glass door.

33w.jpg

As soon as present weather improves, (bad weather forecasted for week) I intend to finish the project and no more this year .

Attachments

• 33w.jpg
    33w.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 786
devonwoody":1cxw0j8y said:
My neighbour has completed the glass painting to the box door and she has made a lovely job of it. Inks used are for glass painting and the painting has been applied to the inside of glass door.

View attachment 33

As soon as present weather improves, (bad weather forecasted for week) I intend to finish the project and no more this year .
DW that is exquisite, your neighbour/friend is very talented. Have you got the chain carousel for the inside? if not Brusso do one, expensive but all brusso stuff is, anyhow here's a link,

http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalo ... russo.html

Hope the weather holds so you can continue.

All the best

Baldhead

Thanks B, BH! that's a price, I reckon I might take the original one out of the box I purchased complete for a fiver.

I suppose if someone has a jewellery box and it has jewellery worth thousands you would not expect to see appendages that cost a few pence adorning the casket. So perhaps the cost of that item is still chicken feed.

John, are these any good or are they too small?
screws.JPG

Attachments

• screws.JPG
    screws.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 733
Drawer pulls now fixed to drawers.

34w.jpg

Pulls are glued to front of drawers but could not insert back screws.

35w.jpg

Therefore 8mm hole drilled in back of each box so a screwdriver blade could be inserted, went well and then plugged the holes with dowels after.

36w.jpg

Nearly there.!

Attachments

• 34w.jpg
    34w.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 915
  • 35w.jpg
    35w.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 915
  • 36w.jpg
    36w.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 915
John,

How thick was your glass on this project? Do you think that it is too thick, too thin or about right- I have an idea that will use a glass panel in the lid of a 6" x 6" box. I was thinking 6mm, but there was a thread yesterday that said to work on it weighing about 3 x the same thickness of mdf. I wonder in that case whether 6mm would be a bit top heavy.

Mark

marcros":sr0ynpye said:
John,

How thick was your glass on this project? Do you think that it is too thick, too thin or about right- I have an idea that will use a glass panel in the lid of a 6" x 6" box. I was thinking 6mm, but there was a thread yesterday that said to work on it weighing about 3 x the same thickness of mdf. I wonder in that case whether 6mm would be a bit top heavy.

Mark

My glass was only 2mm thick, actually greenhouse glass. Perfectly OK for this project bearing in mind the frame is only just over 8mm thick.

CHJ":3uk95575 said:
John, are these any good or are they too small?

Pleased to say screw arrived safely today and just did a quick check and will not pull through eyelet of hinges so should be perfect together with superglue. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) Thanks again Chas.

Naturally will post pic shortly of hinges in place.

You're welcome, think there are enough left out of the 144 originally in the box for my needs, I've only had them 40+ years :lol:

devonwoody":k6gsfrcc said:
marcros":k6gsfrcc said:
John,

Mark

My glass was only 2mm thick, actually greenhouse glass. Perfectly OK for this project bearing in mind the frame is only just over 8mm thick.

i think that 6mm might be a bit of an overkill then. Thanks

Got the hinges on over the weekend. You can no doubt see how small 1/4" no.1 screws are, used some small drill bits as well.
The hinges were glued with super glue and that worked well, I was able to close door an hour later to check positioning. Did not rebate hinges on door piece only carcass as per casket I was copying. (used 1/2" screws on box piece)

37w.jpg

One screw partially in.

38w.jpg

Supported door whilst all this being done.

39w.jpg

Should finish woodwork tomorrow.

Attachments

• 37w.jpg
    37w.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 829
  • 38w.jpg
    38w.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 829
  • 39w.jpg
    39w.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 829
I notice an opportunity to make a secret compartment was missed looking at the photograph above, a bottom could have been placed to base of carcass and access gained to that area under bottom drawer. (Right hand side could have been a decoy.)

Come to the end of construction work to Mk.3 jewellery box.

4aw.jpg

5aw front.jpg

This has been another happy five weeks of my life on this project and I have come to the end of another happy year in my workshop. Hope you enjoyed my season has much as I have done.

Thanks to those for the encouragement and also their participation and gifts.

Attachments

• 4aw.jpg
    4aw.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 790
  • 5aw front.jpg
    5aw front.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 790
Very nice dw, I'm sure the recipient will treasure it. Thanks for taking the time to post your WIPs, I've enjoyed following them.

Back